Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
KayEs

[Solved] Fatal Error - The Application Cannot Be Started

Post by KayEs »

I get this error message when I try to launch OpenOffice. It's nice and vague:

Fatal Error
The application cannot be started.
An internal error occurred.

I don't know what would have caused this. I haven't used OpenOffice for a couple weeks but I don't recall doing anything that would affect it...

I looked through another help message earlier and followed the instructions to reset my user profile (or tried, anyways) but I still couldn't get the program to launch after renaming the profile to "user.old" as in the instructions. (I also tried re-starting my computer).
Last edited by KayEs on Mon May 02, 2011 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Fatal Error - The Application Cannot Be Started

Post by RoryOF »

You may have a corrupted file perhaps arising from some form of disk corruption. Run chkdsk /f and see if that helps.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
gfireman

Post by gfireman »

I have just installed 3.3 on Vista and get the same message. I know that Open Office is free but I have used earlier versions with no problems on the same PC. I do expect it to work without having to fiddle arround. I intend to try to find 3.1 to download.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows Vista
gfireman

Post by gfireman »

I have just uninstalled 3.3 and installed 3.2.1. It appears to load and run properly.

There is clearly a problem with 3.3 on some systems which needs identifying and correcting.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you tried to reset the profile as did OP?
Have you tried to clean the system with Revo Uninstaller for example?

The problem is that it is linked to your very configuration, perhaps a security application preventing the new version from running.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
KayEs

Post by KayEs »

gfireman wrote:I have just uninstalled 3.3 and installed 3.2.1. It appears to load and run properly.

There is clearly a problem with 3.3 on some systems which needs identifying and correcting.
That can't be it though cause I've been running the same version just fine for three months or so..
KayEs

Post by KayEs »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:Have you tried to reset the profile as did OP?
Have you tried to clean the system with Revo Uninstaller for example?

The problem is that it is linked to your very configuration, perhaps a security application preventing the new version from running.
I just tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it still won't launch, so I don't think it's the configuration.. Also, I've noticed now that some of my other programs are giving me trouble. I had two other programs that refused to launch. One of which I was able to find and run from it's real location, the other (those microsoft sticky notes) won't start up at all.
Since other programs are failing, I initially thought there could be an issue with my files (like maybe I moved something and somehow messed up a directory) but reinstalling OpenOffice would have fixed a file problem, right?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Have you run chkdsk /f?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have yo installed IE9? There are some topics about that.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
SigmaB56

Post by SigmaB56 »

I am also getting a OpenOffice.org 3.3 FATAL ERROR This is how the error reads-"OpenOfffice user installation could not be processed due to missing access rights. Please make sure that you have sufficient access rights for the following location and restart open office.org. c:\users\wade\appdata\roaming\openoffice.org\3 " I have uninstall-ed everything and redownloaded Openoffice ran as administrator --Ran and checked modified--ran and checked repair-still get the same error--I have had and used openoffice for a year and now I for some reason am getting this error--I also stopped my anti-virus while downloading-Need help bad thanks I have lots of docs. I can't open now because of this error....
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In addition to being logged on as Adminstrator, Right click on OpenOffice and select Run as Administrator. If it opens, then / File / Open to open the file you require.
SigmaB56

Post by SigmaB56 »

RoryOF-- I have run the setup.exe file in "Run as Administrator" when it ask me if I want to repair or Modif. I have ran both ways and still get this crazy error-what do you think is happening??? I have also uninstalled many times and re-downloaded openoffice many times
KayEs

Post by KayEs »

Hm. Alright, I ran it as an administrator this time around and it finally ran. (Yay!)
(Sorry I haven't bothered to do so until now)
At this point I believe there's a virus that's been causing problems on my computer, so I'll be taking care of that soon.