SQLite to become the LibreOffice Base default

Discuss the database features
DACM
Volunteer

SQLite to become the LibreOffice Base default

Post by DACM »

It's official. Or at least seems so in the LibreOffice development path:

default to SQLite not HSQLDB in Base

I was going to refrain from comment but perhaps I'll begin with a few Pros & Cons:

Pros :)
  • + Will result in a native SQLite 3.x driver for Base on all platforms
    + Eliminates Java dependencies from the back-end database engine
    + Might stabilize the "Embedded database" product due to code rework or proper unzip to disk during use
    + Might result in auto-configurations (pre-sets & checkbox options) for various engines (including HSQLDB 1.8.0 & 2.x for migration purposes)
    + If implemented as a separate, external, database file: offers direct database access from other applications
    + If implemented as a separate, external, database file: only 1 file in addition to the Base (.odb) front-end file
Cons :(
  • - Significant step backwards from HSQLDB 2.x and even HSQLDB 1.8.0 in terms of SQL support and features
    - No easy or realistic migration path from default single-user to client-server like we enjoy with HSQLDB
    - May lack seamless support for legacy "Embedded databases"
    - If implemented as a separate, external, database file (as it should be for stability and external .db access): now 2 files to distribute (.odb + .db)
    - Missed opportunity to integrate H2 "mixed mode" for maximum flexibility including multi-user environments; also 2 files to distribute just like SQLite; also an Android candidate like SQLite (LibO is apparently targeting Android as a future goal)
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria
r4zoli
Volunteer

Re: SQLite to become the LibreOffice Base default

Post by r4zoli »

They searching for developers to implement it, i think will not happen in near future.
If know correctly no one developer working directly on Base component in LibO.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
wurzel
Volunteer

Post by wurzel »

r4zoli wrote:They searching for developers to implement it, i think will not happen in near future.
If know correctly no one developer working directly on Base component in LibO.
There has been at least one (and possibly only one) person working on getting the latest SQLite code to at least compile within the LibO git tree, but that was a while ago and I haven't heard anything since then.

Alex
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

There was an attempt to create sdbc driver in sqlite 2.x time, which is necessary to build default engine from sqlite:
http://dba.openoffice.org/drivers/sqlite/index.html
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
wurzel
Volunteer

Post by wurzel »

r4zoli wrote:There was an attempt to create sdbc driver in sqlite 2.x time, which is necessary to build default engine from sqlite:
http://dba.openoffice.org/drivers/sqlite/index.html
Hi Zoltan,

Wols List is/was working on getting v3 to compile/function.

Alex