[Solved] Rotating Text 90 Degrees

Discuss the word processor
CybrMatt

[Solved] Rotating Text 90 Degrees

Post by CybrMatt »

I have a pretty standard document in Writer 2.4. At the bottom of the document, I want to create a few "tabs"... basically a couple lines of text, oriented at 90 degrees. I've discovered that highlighting text and selecting Character gives me a rotation/scaling option, but it doesn't respect newlines. It seems to be a useless feature to me... why would you want one rotated line of text with the rest of the line being blank? At any rate, I can't find a way to rotate more than one line of text on the page. In Word, I can accomplish this by inserting a Text Box, positioning it, and using Change Text Direction.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Rotating Text 90 Degrees

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Use a new line (Shift Enter) instead of a new paragraph.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

If your "tabs" are essentially decorations--i.e., not part of, or connected to, the text or headings of the document--then I suggest you use a graphics text box. As you described, they can have an arbitrary rotation and placement. Writer's support for rotated text content is limited and unintuitive.

If you don't have the Drawing toolbar at the bottom of the Writer window, use View > Toolbars > Drawing to enable it.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Dave

Post by Dave »

Drawing toolbar: Use the capital T to insert a text box, and type your information. Rotate that [Right Mouse position and size option.] Copy/paste to have several, moving each to where you need it. Change font size to be appropriate.

David.
CybrMatt

Post by CybrMatt »

The drawing toolbar did the trick; thanks all.