[Solved] Marginal annotations

Discuss the word processor
dsumbler

[Solved] Marginal annotations

Post by dsumbler »

I am preparing a large-ish document (about 100 pages of A4). I have worked out how to use cross-references within the text.

What I should also like to do is to be able to add notes in a left margin. These, hopefully, could also be cross-referenced, so that I could direct the reader to a particular line or paragraph in another part of the document. Obviously the margin notes need to be anchored to a word in the main text, so that they remain aligned with the correct bit of text when earlier parts of the document are edited.

Is there a way to do this in OpenOffice?

I am using OO 3.2.1 on Ubuntu 10.10.

David
Last edited by dsumbler on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on Ubuntu Linux 10.10
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Re: Marginal annotations

Post by Hagar Delest »

Insert a frame, it can be anchored to a paragraph. Then insert a bookmark or reference (Set Reference) and then make your cross reference pointing to it.

Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.

NB: there is a problem with the forum giving a fatal error when you submit your post, don't worry, the post should be registered nevertheless (copy the content of the post before submitting in case it would fail).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:NB: there is a problem with the forum giving a fatal error when you submit your post, don't worry, the post should be registered nevertheless (copy the content of the post before submitting in case it would fail).
There certainly seems to be a current hiccup, but the posts do go through.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
dsumbler

Post by dsumbler »

Thanks very much to Hagar for the suggestion. It is exactly what I was looking for.

David
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on Ubuntu Linux 10.10
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows XP