Computer crash destroys document?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
N_of_Coimbra

Computer crash destroys document?

Post by N_of_Coimbra »

Greetings,

For the second time it has happened. My computer crashed while I was writing my notes in the classroom. When I restarted the machine and I tried to open the document, it was unreadable. I guess it's not a problem of "recovery" since sometimes the program crashes and the documents remain ok. The question is that I've lost the entire document, several pages of notes that I started in the beginning of the semester.

I send the document as an annex for you to try to open it. I would like to recover even a fraction of what I had but right now all that appears is ############## in the entire document. I believe it is the same document because the number of the pages is similar. But when I try to open it it asks me for some ASCII code and I just say OK and... well, give it a try, you'll see!

I would be deeply thankful for anyone that could help be to solve this problem. I have another document under the same circumstances. Only this time, no backup for the previous lessons... :(

Best Regards.
Attachments
AULAS.odt
(40.93 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows Vista
RoryOF

Re: Computer crash destroys document?

Post by RoryOF »

I got nothing from it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

Right. So sorry: it's ruined. There's no usable data in the file; it's nothing but zeros.

See 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs. for more discussion.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
N_of_Coimbra

Post by N_of_Coimbra »

Still, why does this happen? Shouldn't the program keep the original document safe while editing?! I really feel miserable with this situation!
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows Vista
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Go to Tools-->Options--->Load/Save-->General and check "Always creates a backup copy". This will save a backup copy of your file as filename.bak in the user profile each time you save the document. Files can be corrupted by a system crash as you described, recovery does not always work as you've seen. More than one backup copy is also recommended.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
acknak

Post by acknak »

N_of_Coimbra wrote:... Shouldn't the program keep the original document safe while editing?
OOo normally keeps a temporary copy of the working document. If your computer crashed while you were working, then OOo should have offered to recover your document from the temporary copy the next time it started.

However, when a computer crashes, or software crashes, or power is lost without a shutdown, anything can happen. The only real solution is good backup copies.

Were you working on a removable disk--a USB drive, or something like that?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

N_of_Coimbra wrote:Still, why does this happen? Shouldn't the program keep the original document safe while editing?! I really feel miserable with this situation!
I fully agree. It shows that there is a lack of robustness in the (saving?) process. I've tried to open a bug report but it has not been accepted.

Check also the temporary folder of the system (see in OOo Tools>Options>OOo>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .odt and cross your fingers.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10