Compatibility with Word?

Discuss the word processor
ronnie

Compatibility with Word?

Post by ronnie »

Hi,
I'm completely new to OpenOffice and I wonder if someone could help to answer a few questions. I wonder how the compatibility between OpenOffice and Microsoft Word is?

Does OpenOffice support every function in Word to 100%?

If you have created a template in Word that includes a header, footer and styles formatting - will it be 100% compatible with OpenOffice?

Also, if you have created a template in OpenOffice and if you open it in Word - will it be 100% compatible?
OpenOffice 3.1 on Mac OS X
therabi
Volunteer

Re: Compatibility with Word?

Post by therabi »

If you require 100% then buy MSO.
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Hi,
No I don't require 100% compatibility. I would like to know if the template will look the same in both OpenOffice and MS Word, and in particular if you can make the same kind of (basic) templates in OpenOffice as in MS Word?
therabi
Volunteer

Post by therabi »

First MS and OOo use templates in a different manner. Any OOo document saved in MS format stands the chance of not being saved with 100% compatibility. The MS formats have been reverse engineered so there can never be 100% compatibility. The only thing I can suggest is install OOo, created some documents and see if the will load the way you want into Word. OOo is free for use so your not out any thing but some time if it does not work.

HTH
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Ok, thanks!
rg27612

Post by rg27612 »

I have had very few problems OPENING Word, PPS documents with OOo. However, I do have probelms trying to create documents and sending them to MS Office users via email.
Typical response from the file recipient is "can open the file all it shows me some text and jibberish!".
I had better success saving as an XML file and sending, but inserted images don't travel well, if at all.
I like 'free', and use OOo frequently, and Thunderbird for Email. I usually wind up copying/pasting directly into the email, instead of trying to send a file attachment that probably can't be read.
I'm now retired, and 100% MSO compatibility is not a major requirement of mine! If it is, follow the advice of others and spend the bucks for the MSO product you need.
OOo 3.3.0, build 9567, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

rg27612 said:
However, I do have probelms trying to create documents and sending them to MS Office users via email.
Have you tried saving in .doc or .xls format? File--->Save As--->Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (.doc)/(.xls)
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2