Disappointed with bugginess

Discuss the word processor
jellystones

Disappointed with bugginess

Post by jellystones »

So i switched to Ubuntu Gutsy which has Open Office 2.3 preinstalled.

I was using Writer yesterday, and had 2 paragraphs written when I noticed none of my spelling mistakes were being caught. So I click Tools->Spellcheck and Poof! Writer just disappears. Nowhere to be found on the task bar.

I open up the program again, and it tells me it can recover my document, to which I agree, but then I find that nothing was recovered.

Strike 1.

I am writing a new document today (while constantly hitting ctrl-s), and have found that trying to insert a .gif image constantly freezes the application to the point where I have to "Force Quit" it. This happens every-time I try inserting an image.

Strike 2.

I just entered a chart into same document, and while I was editting it, Writer becomes unresponsive, and I find that I cannot even switch to the OS!! Writer has effectively locked up my system. A quick ctrl-alt-backspace, gives me control over my system again, but I lose all my work since my last save.

I never have any problems with any other applications, or Gutsy unless im using Writer (havent tried the other products in the suite).

Too bad because I had heard so many good things about open office. Strike 3. I am going to consider going back to MS office unless there is a way I can fix this.
jellystones

Re: Disappointed with bugginess

Post by jellystones »

I have some good news.

Its seem these crashes are related to Ubuntu.

More info here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... fice+crash
Hagar Delest

Re: Disappointed with bugginess

Post by Hagar Delest »

Yes, that Gutsy release is really a shame. Have you fixed it ? Going back to the Human theme is the quickest fix. You can also try to install the official version of OOo : [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10