How can I recover my file?

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
niloo

How can I recover my file?

Post by niloo »

I have a Mac , I was writing a paper that suddenly my laptop battery died, later when I turned my computer on, the recovery came up, but the version it recovered is a very elementary one :( , what should I do to recover the last version?

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Acknak, Moderator).
OpenOffice 3.2.0 on MacOs 10.5.6
squenson
Volunteer

Re: HELPPPPPPP

Post by squenson »

If OOo didn't offer you to recover the file, then I guess the only way to recover the last version is to retype it...
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
Hagar Delest

Re: How can I recover my file?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Check the backup folder of the profile (see [Tutorial] The OOo user profile). Else, if in the system temporary folder there are folders like sdftmg.tmp with a file with the same name inside, make a copy and rename it as .odt.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
niloo

Post by niloo »

When I go to /Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org/3/user there are 3 versions of my file when I click on them, It asks me what charachter set to us, whatever I choose the file is empty , it also happens when I open all other ooo files that are not related to the file and are in tat folder,they open as empty with whatever charachter set I choose
niloo

Post by niloo »

I dont seem to have a system temporary folder where is that?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The temp folder path is listed in Tools>Preferences>OOo>Paths.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
niloo

Post by niloo »

When I go to /Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org/3/user there are 3 versions of my file when I click on them, It asks me what charachter set to us, whatever I choose the file is empty , it also happens when I open all other ooo files that are not related to the file and are in tat folder,they open as empty with whatever charachter set I choose.
And I do not have the temp folder on my mac
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

You can access the preferences/options with the standard Mac keyboard shortcut "⌘," or with menu OpenOffice.org, Preferences. Then see OpenOffice.org, Paths. My recommendation is not to open/rename anything in the Backups or Temporary files folders directly, but first use Finder to make a copy (Option+Drag, say to the Desktop) and open/rename that.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
niloo

Post by niloo »

I found my temp and everything , can you please again say what I should do? I tried whatever in previous replies were suggested but still can't get the last version open
squenson
Volunteer

Post by squenson »

The last version is probably lost. The temp file you have found is the last version that you computer remembers.
niloo

Post by niloo »

It is lost is not a proper answer!!! well the temp file has many files in it like: svbbp.tmp and so on. In my backup folder I have three versions of my file but when I want to open them it asks which character set to use... and opens all empty even for other ooo files that have no problem
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You may need to rename the tmp files to .odt before trying to open them. Squenson didn't say "it is lost"; he said "it is _probably_ lost".
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
niloo

Post by niloo »

when I changed .tmp to .odt, again like when I want to open files from backup it asks for which character set? which on should I choose?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

niloo wrote:when I changed .tmp to .odt, again like when I want to open files from backup it asks for which character set? which on should I choose?
Forget it. Your file is lost; start rewriting.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
niloo

Post by niloo »

Why forget it? because you don't know the answer?
hol.sten
Volunteer

Post by hol.sten »

niloo wrote:Why forget it? because you don't know the answer?
Because the file is gone for good. At least the content you once wrote, so there is no other answer. If you're beyond the point of recovering it, you have to start to write it again.
OOo 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 • OOo 3.2.1 on Windows 7 64-bit and MS Windows XP
squenson
Volunteer

Post by squenson »

When OOo asks for a character set, it's usually because the file only contains the # sign. That's unfortunate but yes, your last version of the file is probably lost. There is nothing you, me, the other participants in this forum can do. This is a nasty bug in OOo that strikes from time to time, fortunately very rarely and which has not yet been found. The best workaround is to save your work often and make regular backup copies with a time stamp added in the name of the file.
niloo

Post by niloo »

I saved it many times though, I started rewriting it. Thanks to everyone for trying to help though
sweetemo22jd

Post by sweetemo22jd »

To recover files that you have deleted on your Mac, use Backup and backup your files to a hard drive, an iDisk, or a DVD/CD. Choose a backup plan in the Backup window, select the files you want to restore, and click Restore. You can also use FileSalvage and Data Backup 3. They will allow you to easily back up, restore, and synchronize data.
Nerdy

OpenOffice 3.1 Windows Vista