Export to PDF with animations in place

Discuss the presentation application
NameZero912

Export to PDF with animations in place

Post by NameZero912 »

Hi,

I am looking for a possibility (either a script or a plug-in) to do the following:

Imagine you create slides on which you put animations, that is, if your slide has many bullet points on it, you animate them so that once you click, new bullet points appear (I usually just use the "appear" animation, no "flying in from the left" or other toy animations). The problem however is that once you export your slideshow to PDF, these animations are gone. All bullet points are visible at once, on only 1 slide. What I'd like instead is that the different bullet points appear after another also in the PDF (i.e. a new page is created for each new animated point, so that it behaves like the original presentation, but of course using only the static "appear" animation, no movement etc.).

I'd imagine that there is maybe a script that splits my slides into many slides, according to the animations?

I'm thankful for your tips!
Cheers.
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on Windows 7 Pro X64
Hagar Delest

Re: Export to PDF with animations in place

Post by Hagar Delest »

You can do that yourself by copying several times the final slide and removing items from final slide to first slide (so that a new item is shown each time you go a page forward until all have been shown). I've never heard of any automatic process that would keep the animations.

Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
NameZero912

Post by NameZero912 »

Of course I could do it manually. But the presentation has many slides, and the slides have too many animations in it as if this was a feasible solution.

Even in 2005 people requested this feature, I cannot believe that there is no demand for something like this (since it hasn't been implemented in 5 years), see http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=15974

It seems someone implemented such a makro. However, when I try the guy's example, the makro doesn't really do anything. Maybe you have an idea? See http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@graphic ... 00841.html

Cheers
acknak

Post by acknak »

Are you sure that PDF files support animations? Can you give us a link to an example of the kind of pdf you want?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
NameZero912

Post by NameZero912 »

No no, I am not looking for the PDF to have "animations". In this thread I am talking about "animations" because that's the term used in Impress. Animations allow you to not show the whole content of a slide at once, but one after another. In Impress, what you do is that you assign WHETHER (e.g. "with previous" or "after click") objects (such as text items) appear, and HOW (choosing some effect, e.g. flying in from the outside, or just appearing) they appear.

Essentially, animations make objects appear one after another, in a sequence defined by the author. Let's say I have a slide in Impress with 5 objects that appear/disappear with a sequence (I can click 5 times before reaching the next slide), then I want the resulting PDF to have 5 pages for this first slide, and on each of these 5 pages you see another object, according to the sequence I defined (of course the objects are NOT animated in the PDF ... they are just either "there" or "not there").

Edit the link I posted above to the makro that Matthew Neeley created: that makro does work using his simple example file, but if I try to use it on my presentation I'll get a runtime error with the exception of type com.sun.star.lang.IllegalArgumentException, Message: cannot coerce argument type during coreflection call!

in sub removeInvisibleShapes(...) in the slide.remove(shapes(n)) statement
monperrus

Post by monperrus »

Hi,

Matthew Neeley's extension works fine with "appear" and "disappear" animations. It is now available as an extension (https://github.com/downloads/monperrus/ ... latest.oxt).
NameZero912 wrote:Edit the link I posted above to the makro that Matthew Neeley created: that makro does work using his simple example file, but if I try to use it on my presentation I'll get a runtime error with the exception of type com.sun.star.lang.IllegalArgumentException, Message: cannot coerce argument type during coreflection call!
This is due to "appear" animations on text fragments (and not on whole text boxes or objects). See https://github.com/monperrus/ExpandAnimations/issues/1

Regards,

--Martin
OOO330m19 (Build:202), Debian package 1:3.3.2-2, Debian 6.0
freeseek

Post by freeseek »

Hey Martin, is there a solution for the "appear" animations on text fragments or are you suggesting to put all "appear" animations on text boxes?
LibreOffice 3.3 on Ubuntu 11.04
Brak

Post by Brak »

Hello.

I know this is an old thread... but I am having the same issue.

I tried clicking on the link for the macro, but its currently dead.

Has this ever been fixed?

I see in the "export as pdf" there an option for "use transition effects", but when I open the pdf they are not there.

I hope in the past few years a solution has availed itself.
OpenOffice 2.4.3 on WinXP
OpenOffice (trying 4.x and 3.x) on macOS Sierra 10.12.1