[Solved] ODM extension for OverDrive Media files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
JeffH13

[Solved] ODM extension for OverDrive Media files

Post by JeffH13 »

I currenly use a software call "OverDrive Media Console" which is used to download audio books for the library. After I installed OpenOffice. I tried to download a book and to my best guess their starting file extension is odm, which if I understand correctly is the file extension for your writer master.

I started the download for the library's web site and normally the software "OverDrive Media Console" opens up and asked me to download the book, but after I installed OpenOffice the writer program opened up.

Know I have unistalled OpenOffice and OverDrive Media Console, then I reinstalled OverDrive Media Console and I'm able to download my books.

I really want to try OpenOffice..

Any Idea's?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
Hagar Delest

Re: odm extension

Post by Hagar Delest »

You have to modify the application, see here for example (after having installed again OOo): Documents wont open from the internet. Help please.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
JeffH13

Post by JeffH13 »

Before I unistalled both I did try changing that. It stilled opened it with Writer.
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

JeffH13 wrote:Before I unistalled both I did try changing that. It stilled opened it with Writer.
Did you check the box Always use the selected program to open this kind of file?

KR, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If Phil's advise doesn't change anything, I guess you've to tweak your base of registry and modify the related key. Google a bit and post again if that doesn't work.
JeffH13

Post by JeffH13 »

Ok, I reinstalled OpenOffice and click on file extensions always.

This is what I'm getting.

I attached a screen shot of what i'm getting.
File_content.png
File_content.png (9.42 KiB) Viewed 28461 times
 Edit: Hagar: replaced the zipped .doc file by the screenshot. 
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Note that you can upload a screenshot directly here, no need to use a [ :evil: ] .doc zipped.

If you IE opens the file directly, that's another story. What if you save the file on your HD and open it from that location?
JeffH13

Post by JeffH13 »

The OverDrive Media Console software never asked to download or save the file. It automaticly did it. I have unistalled both and reinstall both several times trying to get it to ask me to save the file. It doesn't ask...

How would I save a screen shot here?
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

Upload screenshot as PNG or JPG file.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
JeffH13

Post by JeffH13 »

OK for the screen shot. Any other ideas on the opening files
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

On File manager select Tools>Folder settings (if translated well from Hungarian), select clich on File type tab.

Select ODM from list and click on Modify button.

New dialog will came up Locate your program on your computer select it and clik ok.
JeffH13

Post by JeffH13 »

Got it...

1, Uninstall both
2, install OpenOffice
3, install OverDrive Media Console
4, Control Panel, File Options, File types, Select ODM select OverDrive Media Console, Check always.

This works it had to be done it this order
megur19

Re: [Solved] odm extension

Post by megur19 »

Although the suggestions above are helpful in some cases, in my experience they do not work when Open Office 2.4 is installed on a machine with Windows Media Player 11 AND OverDrive Media Console 2.1 already installed. The change to the File Type does appear in the File Types list, but problems remain when trying to download OverDrive media. The following procedure is clumsy but effective, and you won't have to uninstall Open Office 2.4

1. Uninstall OverDrive Media Console 2.1.
2. Uninstall Windows Media Player 11 (roll back to version 10).
3. Uninstall Windows Media 11 runtime format (if present).
4. Reinstall Windows Media Player 11.
5. Get the Windows Updates for Windows Media Player 11.
6. Reinstall OverDrive Media Console 2.1
7. Get the required Media Player "security" upgrade.
8. Test with a fresh download of an OverDrive title.
brobst8832

Re: [Solved] ODM extension for OverDrive Media files

Post by brobst8832 »

A much easier solution to this problem that worked for me was to simply go into Add/Remove programs and run REPAIR on OverDrive Media Console. Once the REPAIR was complete, I could once again download the OverDrive WMA AudioBook from the Library webpage - it does ask whether I want to OPEN or SAVE the ODM file. I don't remember it doing that before but clicking OPEN will start the download.

NOTE: I had previously tried re-assigning OMC as the default program associated with ODM files without any luck. If the REPAIR does not work, you might have to try the re-assign first.

My environment is Vista 64, OverDrive Media Console 3.1.0.1, Windows Media Player 11.0.6001.7000, Windows Media Player DRM 2.9.0.1, and OpenOffice.org 3.0.0.
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista
kwstoll

Post by kwstoll »

Since Microsoft chose not to provide Vista with 'delete association' functionality, my solution was to edit the registry directly. Here's the procedure that restored the OverDrive Media Console to the only associated program for the .odm extension.

1. Use the Program and Features control panel applet to 'repair' the OverDrive Media Console install (may not be required as I didn't check the registry beforehand)
2. Export the classes registry key for .odm (always make a backup before editing!)
3. Edit the classes registry key for .odm and remove key trees for OpenWithProgIDs, PersistentHandler, and shellex.

Registry export before editing:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.odm]
@="OverDrive.Media"
"Content Type"="application/x-od-media"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.odm\OpenWithProgIDs]
"opendocument.WriterDocument.1"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.odm\OverDrive.Media]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.odm\OverDrive.Media\ShellNew]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.odm\PersistentHandler]
@="{7BC0E713-5703-45BE-A29D-5D46D8B39262}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.odm\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.odm\shellex\{00021500-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
@="{087B3AE3-E237-4467-B8DB-5A38AB959AC9}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.odm\shellex\{BB2E617C-0920-11D1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{3B092F0C-7696-40E3-A80F-68D74DA84210}"

Note, I've also contacted OverDrive support letting them know of the conflict and recommending that their software provide the additional registry information needed to show up in the Vista 'Default Programs, Set your default programs' applet. Having the OverDrive Media Console show up there probably would have allowed the conflict to be resolved without registry editing.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Ms Windows Vista
NeHeUser

Post by NeHeUser »

I have Vista Home premium and solved this problem by uninstalling openOffice, then uninstalling overdrive media, then reinstalling open office (installed, but did not open), shutting down, then reinstalling overdrive media, at this point I checked the associated file type and vista had odm associated with overdrive, not openoffice, i did not have to make the change. I did this all at once. This was my last try, however it seems to be working. Its odd this worked because the original install order was the same, just not all at once. I had already tried 'associating file type' .odm with overdrive media, and I was still not able to download, but this seems to work.
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista
chestersmomie

Library overdrive

Post by chestersmomie »

Read all the posts with the issue of OpenOffice and Overdrive app. I use the library and listen to books in my browser there is not an app involved. I am using windows 7. The OpenOffice is great but when I listen to an audio book, it will load the book but the book stops and then I have to reload the book. So the work around of uninstalling the app is pointless. If someone has an answer please let me know.
OpenOffice4.1.2 on Windows 7