How to Skip Empty Lines/Data Fields in Address Labels

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
pcb002

How to Skip Empty Lines/Data Fields in Address Labels

Post by pcb002 »

i have worked through the example in the tutorial on this but it doesn't seem to work except for a single example. I have 50 records in my spreadsheet, most of which have one line empty.
(I have the following fields for the addresses: Address 1, address2, address 3, town, county, postcode)

Is there any way in which I can suppress blank fields without going through them all one by one? In Word, it is just a matter of ticking a "Don't print blank fields" tick-box.

Peter
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: How to Skip Empty Lines/Data Fields in Address Labels

Post by TheGurkha »

This explains it well: Suppressing Blank Address2 Fields in OpenOffice.org Labels, Envelopes, or Other Documents, for Mail Merges.

Also, here's a long page of all kinds of useful stuff to do with labels: Labels Tutorials.
This is another useul source of label information: FSM Mail merge Tutorial.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
thehobler

Post by thehobler »

This seems so ridiculous. The suppression of blank fields instructions and responses to this inquiry seem to be dated 2007 - 2009. I can't believe that this otherwise excellent software hasn't been improved to do this easier. I do labels perhaps 3 - 4 times a year and each time it seems to be a major learning curve to get this done. It's almost enough to make me spend the money for MS Office. How in the world can this basic chore be so insanely complicated and not be improved to date. I am determined to find an easier way to get this done. Can anyone suggest another free office suite to try? Don't suggest Lotus Symphony; it's just as bad at this.
Open Office 3.2 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try LibreOffice. If Google doesn't return anything else, then, either live with it or learn how to code and just do it...
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
brewgoat

Post by brewgoat »

I had the same question about how to suppress the blank fields. Followed the link above which only took about 2 minutes to do at most and it worked great thanks.
OpenOffice 3.2