[Solved] Kaddressbook mailmerge

Discuss the word processor
Zill

[Solved] Kaddressbook mailmerge

Post by Zill »

I have a requirement to generate some address labels using Kontact/Kaddressbook as the data source.

Any recommendations please as to the best way to do this using Kaddressbook (4.4.2) and OOo Writer (3.2.0).

I have tried running the OOo "data source wizard" but this does not find Kaddressbook (or any other source!).

All ideas gratefully received.
Last edited by Zill on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: kaddressbook mailmerge

Post by Villeroy »

I'm using some beta of OOo3 from download.openoffice.org on XUbuntu 10.04. No Gnome, no KDE, my mail agent is Thunderbird.

From a text file's main menu I call:
File>Wizards>Addressbook Source...
Addressbook type: Other
Connection Settings> Database type: KDE Addressbook

I get the following error message:
SQL Status: HY000

The connection to the external data source could not be established. No SDBC driver was found for the given URL.
A connection for the following URL was requested "sdbc:address:kab".
IMHO, this indicates that the database driver is not installed on my system. Otherwise it may find some forgotten KDE addresses from a previous Mandriva-KDE installation.
On your system you should have a database driver for your KDE addresses if you installed OOo from KUbuntu repositories.
I don't know how to install other SDBC drivers (the ones that come with OOo) but recent development tends to extension packages for arbitrary database drivers.

In any case it should be possible to export one or more address books to a dedicated directory of text tables (csv), connect Base to that directory and use that one.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Zill

Re: kaddressbook mailmerge

Post by Zill »

Thanks Villeroy. I was hopeful that OOo would connect directly to Kaddressbook but it seems that this is not the case. I believe the package openoffice.org-kab used to provide this functionality with kde3/OOo2 but with kde4/OOo3 and akonadi this no longer works and so is not available in the Lucid (k)ubuntu repositories.

As suggested, I ended up exporting my kaddressbook file as a csv spreadsheet and then registering that as a data source in OOo. Seems to work fine :-)

Thanks again.