[Solved] OpenOffice Impress crashes every 5 minutes or less

Discuss the presentation application
soichih

[Solved] OpenOffice Impress crashes every 5 minutes or less

Post by soichih »

I just started using OpenOffice Impress that came with Ubuntu 7.10. This is my first presentation that I am working on OpenOffice Impress, and I have nothing but some basic images and texts.

As I added more pages to it, OpenOffice Impress started to crash more frequently, and there was no specific action that I was doing to cause these crashes. Sometime it crash if I resize a text box, and sometime it crashes if I change font color, etc.. When it crashes, it automatically opens a dialog box for document recovery, and almost all time, it successfully recovered the document that I was editing.

This is getting very annoying, and I am wondering if someone else is expecting a similar issue. Or better yet, has any solution to this issue?
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice Impress crashes every 5 minutes or less

Post by AndrewZ »

This is a FAQ. The version shipped with Ubuntu has modifications that introduce both new features and bugs. Do two things

1. Report the problem to Ubuntu at http://www.ubuntu.com
2. Download and install the mainstream/Sun version from http://download.openoffice.org

Cross reference:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=63625
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
acknak

Post by acknak »

I don't disagree with what Andrew said, but your description does remind me of a problem I had with one OOo snapshot which was crashing everytime it tried to go online to check for updates. You might just try turning that off and see if it makes any difference.

Tools > Options > OOo > Online Update > Check for updates automatically = NO
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
soichih

Post by soichih »

I have un-installed the OpenOffice that came with Ubuntu 7.10 and installed the OO from the openoffice.org. I've been editing my presentation for last one hour or so, and it hasn't crashed a single time!!

I am bit disappointed that Ubuntu will package such a faulty distribution, but it looks like my problem has been resolved!

Thank you!! :)
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

soichih wrote:I am bit disappointed that Ubuntu will package such a faulty distribution
We're so many users to agree with you !!!
BTW, the tutorial is also here : [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10