[Solved] Problem posting tables to this forum

Let us know how we are doing -
sszd

[Solved] Problem posting tables to this forum

Post by sszd »

I guess I need some sort of tutorial on this forum because I can't seem to post my problem. I'm trying to explain an issue with calc. In order to explain my problem I need to show some tables. I can't seem to get the "Table=" and/or the "aligntable=" buttons to work when I try to post something. All I get when I preview my post is [Table=] and [/Table]. I try to embed my text within the labels but it just doesn't work. So, if someone could please explain how to create a table when posting to this forum I would appreciate it. Then, I'll be able to get to my actual problem with calc. Thanks.

P.S. I've tried to simply enter my tables with spacing and all (not using the table labels), but that doesn't work either as the extra spaces are compressed in my tables when I preview (so they're just a mess). So that's why I think I'll have to figure out how the table labels work. Also, what's the difference between "Table=" and "aligntable=".
Last edited by sszd on Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
OpenOffice 3.2.1
Max OS X 10.6.4
therabi
Volunteer

Re: Problem posting tables to this forum

Post by therabi »

sszd wrote:I guess I need some sort of tutorial on this forum because I can't seem to post my problem. I'm trying to explain an issue with calc. In order to explain my problem I need to show some tables. I can't seem to get the "Table=" and/or the "aligntable=" buttons to work when I try to post something. All I get when I preview my post is [Table=] and [/Table]. I try to embed my text within the labels but it just doesn't work. So, if someone could please explain how to create a table when posting to this forum I would appreciate it. Then, I'll be able to get to my actual problem with calc. Thanks.

P.S. I've tried to simply enter my tables with spacing and all (not using the table labels), but that doesn't work either as the extra spaces are compressed in my tables when I preview (so they're just a mess). So that's why I think I'll have to figure out how the table labels work. Also, what's the difference between "Table=" and "aligntable=".
It would be better to upload a sample showing the problem. There are to many things that can cause problems that can only be found looking at the full document.

HTH
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
sszd

Post by sszd »

It's not a bug or problem with an existing spreadsheet. It's simply a question on how to do something, but in order to explain what I want to do, I'll need to post some tables as examples.
OpenOffice 3.2.1
Max OS X 10.6.4
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The table tags are not really for such examples. Instead, use the Code tags to use characters with identical width and use spaces to mimic the table.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.

NB: moved to the Feedback forum.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
sszd

Post by sszd »

Thank you for the response. I'll try that and see if it works. In the mean time, I must be completely blind. I've clicked edit on my first post as you suggested and I cannot find any button anywhere that says "Solved".

Also, what are the table tags for if not tables?
OpenOffice 3.2.1
Max OS X 10.6.4
sszd

Re: [Solved] Problem posting tables to this forum

Post by sszd »

Sorry, I just found in the survival guide that you must type the word in manually. My apologies. What about the table tags though?
OpenOffice 3.2.1
Max OS X 10.6.4
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

You can change the subject from "Problem posting tables to this forum" to "[Solved] Problem posting tables to this forum" and select the green checkmark above the subject line. I tried to use the Table= and aligntable= buttons when I first started posting, but some searches suggested that they just don't work in the BBCode software, or at least that they aren't properly implemented in the OpenOffice.org community forum, or are useless for formatting tables. So I never try to use them any more even though it seems that they would be very helpful, especially in the Calc forum or the Base forum.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
sszd

Post by sszd »

Ok, thanks. Also, I went and removed the solved from the title as I've just discovered using the code tags with spaces doesn't work either. When I tried it and did a preview the spacing was still all messed up. I think the problem is that I need to use a fixed font when doing that, something like courier. So, is there a way to change the font, because I can't find that either. Thanks for all your help.
OpenOffice 3.2.1
Max OS X 10.6.4
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

If you use the Code button, you'll get a monospaced font. Outside of [‍code][/‍code], the BBCode software removes what it thinks are "extra" spaces. I circumvent that by using the "no-break space" when needed, as   in   here.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
sszd

Post by sszd »

Ok, it's looks like you're right. The result is a monospaced font. The problem is you have to mess around with the non-monospaced font in the editor until the preview looks right. This is a real pain. Anyway, I also just found out that changing the font color within the code tags doesn't work. Is there a way around that? I would like my column and row headers a different color to make my points more clear when I explain my problem. Also, how did you do that "no-break space" thing in your previous post. I don't see tags or buttons that allow that.
OpenOffice 3.2.1
Max OS X 10.6.4
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

There is no button to tag a topic, you've to add it manually.

For the table, I've never really tried it. Here is a small example.
  • Header
Text in the cell

Code: Select all

[table=1,Header]Text in the cell[/table]
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

I don't believe there is a way to change the color within the [‍code][/‍code] tags.

The following idea applies to a Mac only
Use Apple, System Preferences, Keyboard, Keyboard, and ensure Show Keyboard and Character Viewer is checked.
201011111453.png
201011111453.png (16.98 KiB) Viewed 11448 times
Then in the Menu Bar (upper right), Show Character Viewer, Unicode, Latin-1 Supplement, select 00A0, Insert. Using the button in the lower left corner, you can add it to Favorites. You may want to consider building the monospaced text in TextEdit (Format, Make Plain Text) first and when it's to your liking copy/paste it into [‍code][/‍code].
Mr. Programmer
sszd

Post by sszd »

I completely gave up on the table thing. Just couldn't figure out how to get multiple rows/columns. Thanks anyway Hargar de l'Est.

So, I was finally able to post my problem using the code tags as suggested by MrProgrammer. It was still a pain, even after copying and pasting from a document, I still had to play with the spacing a bit until everything lined up. Anyway, thanks for all your help.
OpenOffice 3.2.1
Max OS X 10.6.4
Paddy Landau

Re: [Solved] Problem posting tables to this forum

Post by Paddy Landau »

I have been Googling and experimenting for some time.

I have discovered that the syntax is:
[table=width,Title]{contents}[/table]
where "width" is the width as a percentage of the screen and "Title" is the title of the table.

Example:
  • Fancy Title
will create HTML code
<table width=50% ...>
with the title "Fancy Title".

However, try as I might, I cannot find out how to separate columns and rows. I have tried all sorts of things, all without success.

Surely someone knows how to use the Table BBCode on the OO forum?