Copy / Cut and Paste won't work

Discuss the word processor
Cajun Bob

Copy / Cut and Paste won't work

Post by Cajun Bob »

Hi,
I've had this problem for some time now.

Up-graded from 3.1 to 3.2.1 and lost the option to paste. I can right click and have the option to cut or copy and the cut function will work. But when I go to paste, it's not there.

I've re-installed 3.1 and still same problem.

I've updated my Win 7 and still same problem.

It would cut/copy and past within a document nor in an email.

Any help would be appreciated... I truly don't want to go back to MS.

Thanks,
Bob
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on Windows 7
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Help - Copy / Cut and Paste won't work

Post by thomasjk »

Try resetting the user profile http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 74&t=12426. It's not changed when you uninstall/reinstall.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Cajun Bob

Post by Cajun Bob »

Tom,

Thanks for the input but, no good.

I changed the name of the User Profile file to UserOld and No luck.

Any other ideas are welcomed.

Thank you,

Bob
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A quick Google suggests that a possible fix may be this:

Removing AppInit_DLLS

Caution: While these steps should be safe to perform if followed correctly, you should never edit the registry if you don't feel confident or are unsure of what you are doing.

1. Important! Close all Firefox, Opera and Internet Explorer windows.
2. Click Start > Run…
3. Type “regedit.exe” and press OK.
4. Get to the following location in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
5. In the pane on the right-hand side of regedit you should see a String called “AppInit_DLLs”
6. Take note of any value listed to the right of “AppInit_DLLs” as it may indicate you have malware installed.
7. Right click on “AppInit_DLLs” and choose Delete.

Some application that uses a specific registry string, AppInit_DLLS at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows may cause the problem. There have been some reports that this string simply existing can cause the problem, without pointing to a specific application. The most commonly reported applications that this string points to are the pushow malware and Google Desktop. If the string points to a legitimate application, removing it might cause the application to stop working. Reinstalling the application afterwards may fix it, or it may recreate the string and the problem. Not everyone who has this string in their registry has a clipboard issue.

This information is extracted from
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Clipboard_not_working

Use _At YOUR OWN RISK_
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Cajun Bob

Post by Cajun Bob »

Rory,

I tried edting the resister. Please note that instead of deleting the "AppInit_DLLs", I changed it's name by adding OLD to the end. Must I delete it?

Still nothing works.

When I copy something, the Past option does not even show up on Right click.
The cut works, but again no option to past by shortcut or right click.

Also, cut , copy and paste works in Word pad, IE and other programs But not OO.

Any additional help is appreciated. Please let me know if I need to delete and not just re-name.
thanks,
Bob
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I can't tell you, sorry. I solved my cut/paste/copy problem by a routine (every year) reinstall of Windows 2000 (Format and reinstall, data kept elsewhere). I suspect my problem was caused by the installation and later removal (by brute force and ignorance) of a clipboard utility that allowed multiple layers to be used on the clipboard.
Cajun Bob

Post by Cajun Bob »

Rory,

Regardless, Thanks for your help.

Bob
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A quick thought: is your OOo document by any chance Read only? If you right click on the document at system level and select Tools, you may find a checkbox Readonly. Uncheck this if checked. Also, in the same directory you may find a filename similar to .~lock.Filename.odt#. With OOo closed, delete these. They are lock files left over after a crash or improper closure of OOo or the system.

It can happen that in system upgrades data files are backed up to CD and reinstalled. These have been known to carry a Readonly attribute from the CD after reinstall.
Cajun Bob

Post by Cajun Bob »

Please note.

This problem continues and now has spread to my Lap top this morning.

It happens with all documents, old, new whatever. You can not paste anything into an OO Document. The Option to paste is no longer in the right click menu and does not work with Control V short cut.

Any help would be appreciated. I do not want to go back to MS Word.

Thanks,

Bob
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I found this, which may help

pushow

Pushow (pop up show), a malware, affects the clipboard through AppInit_DLLs. Infected computers have files "popupshow.dll" or "pushowxx.dll", where "xx" is a random number, within "C:\Windows\System32\". To check for infection, Windows users should enable "Show hidden files and folders", search for "pushow*" and "popupshow.dll" files, and delete these files. Deleting these files is not usually possible until AppInit_DLLs is removed. Anti-malware software may not detect pushow, even if the software's definitions are up to date.

-----------------

Alternately, the problem may be arising from some update to Windows 7. A good malware detector is Spybot; it is certainly worth runnng that or something similar, just in case the problem arises from some malware that is not a virus.
Cajun Bob

Re: Copy / Cut and Paste won't work

Post by Cajun Bob »

Rory,

Thanks for the info, but my search (with Show Hidden Files selected) turned up none of the files mentioned. I also ran Spybot and found Nothing.

I've reloaded 3.2, Tried 3.1, Tried 3.0 and nothing works. A day after this problem started one of my Vista lap tops became infected as well. It crashed yesterday and I re-formatted everything. So, we'll see what happens.

Any further direction from anyone would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
chasgl

Post by chasgl »

My problem is with OO 3.2.1, Win 7 64 bit. If I copy to the clipboard from within OO it works. But if I copy to the clipboard from another program that does not affect the clipboard in OO. It pastes whatever was in the clipboard before the copy. If I go to another application it has the correct clipboard contents.
OOo 4.1.3 on Windows 10 64 bit pro
Danzier

Post by Danzier »

Hi guys,

I'm not a computer guru or anything. I had this problem once before and I don't recall where I found the solution, but I do recall what it was. It's quick and easy and has fixed the issue on two different machines.
1. In the top bar, go to Tools.
2. The second item in the dropdown box is "Language". It pulls up a hover menu.
3. The hover menu has 3 options: For Selection, For Paragraph, and For All Text. Each of these has an individual hover menu.
4. In each of those hover menus, make sure that "English (USA)" is selected. If you use a different main language in your program, make sure that the main language you use is selected. **I have noticed that sometimes it doesn't show the checkmark by the selected language, so you just have to click it and make sure it selected.**
5. All done! Cut, Copy, and Paste should all work now.

I haven't got a clue as to why it works, but it does. :D

--Danzier
OOo 3.1 on a Windows 7 (64bit asus) laptop
teach

Post by teach »

This worked for me too. I did have to close Open Office and then re-open it to get Paste back.
Open Office 4.1.7 Windows