OpenOffice.org crashes frequently

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
wcstech

OpenOffice.org crashes frequently

Post by wcstech »

I am running OpenOffice on a Windows XP Pro machine. When I was using 2.4 Writer the screen would suddenly go black and when I restarted it would recover the file but none of the changes I had made would be there no matter how many times I had saved the document. I upgraded to 3.0 to see if that would fix the problem. Now it at least doesn't go black but every few minutes the program stops responding and I have to End Task and restart the program. At least the changed are getting saved now but it is frustrating to have to restart every 10 minutes. A complete system scan revealed no viruses. What is going on?

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply. (TheGurkha, Moderator).
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + W2k
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Crashes

Post by TheGurkha »

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Have you tried to reset your user profile? Try that as a first step. [Tutorial] The OOo user profile.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
hideho

Re: OpenOffice crashes frequently

Post by hideho »

I'm having exactly the same problem. I've changed profile info, uninstalled, installed. For a time, Oo would open and allow some word processing. Filing wouldn't work and I didn't like not having all documents filed on one site, i.e., Windows etc. Now, Oo won't open at all. Logo comes on screen, the loading bar starts working, then vanishes. When I have gotten it open, clicked on document,
it immediately crashes, opens the recovery dialog, and then does nothing. There's nowhere to indicate what file or document you've just tried to access. You're always asked if you want to, or have reported this issue to Oo, and in my opinion, if it's going to take that long to resolve an immediate problem, what's the point? I have similar issues trying to use Firefox.
It has been so mercilessly attacked by Microsoft that you can't know from day to day what's going to happen to it. I've had to uninstall it, fool around with every setting available, reinstall, fool
around with settings again, only to find it still either won't download again, or if it does, open when you want it to. Maybe I'm paranoid about it at this point, but I'm convinced M'Soft will do, and is doing, anything to make using these competing programs such a pain that their jump-ships will come back. Not me. I despise them.
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on Windows XP
nonumber

Re: OpenOffice crashes frequently

Post by nonumber »

I have the same problem.
Also tried reinstalling, creating new profile, reinstalling again...
OppenOffice (both Calc as Writer and probably the others too) crashes when focus is off (other window active), when doing ctrl-A, or just randomly when it feels like it :?
OpenOffice.org 3.2.1 / Windows 7
CaydenRyan

Re: OpenOffice.org crashes frequently

Post by CaydenRyan »

Alrighty folks, thought I would bring things into the light, I am having the same problem as everyone else, reset my user profile, changed the location of the temp files, reinstalled java, and even ate a cheeseburger (not that that helps, but it made me feel better)

I have been having problems for about 3 months now and it is REALLY getting old, does anyone have the last known working version they would feel free to zip and email to me? it would be appreciated, the only other thing I can think to do is a format reload on the windows side of my computer, as my linux side works for everything I need it for.

And please don't tell me to use Open Office on my Ubuntu 10 even though it works, there is some ease of use and programs that only work in windows that I need to use for my reporting.
OpenOffice.org 3.2.1
Windows 7 Home Premium

Hater of Microsoft products minus xbox