Weird File Problem Help :(

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
martin o

Weird File Problem Help :(

Post by martin o »

when I try to open a saved file I get a ASCII Filter Option thing ;o,after hitting open and it opens the file but a bunch of "#" :/. Any help would be nice.
Open Office Version 3.2.1
Windows 32 bit.
acknak

Re: Weird File Problem Help :(

Post by acknak »

Sorry, this almost always means that your document is damaged. Most likely, if all you see is "#"s, then it can't be recovered; you have to revert to a backup copy.

See http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =6&t=17677 for more examples and discussion.

It could be helpful to know more about the circumstances surrounding the corruption: was the file stored on some removable media--a thumb drive or memory card, perhaps? Was there any problem with the computer--a crash or freeze? Maybe a problem with power on/off?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
martin o

Post by martin o »

Okay let me try this again xD.I tried the backup copy and it was also just "#",it was stored on my internal hard drive and the pc battery died last time I was editing the document :crazy: .I'm I doing something wrong here ? :(
Windows 32 bit.
acknak

Post by acknak »

It's very unusual that two separate files would be damaged like this. It could be just bad luck, but as with lightning, two strikes in the same place makes it more likely that there is some common cause: a hardware problem with your computer, maybe?

Anyway, if your backup is showing the same thing, then the document is lost, I'm afraid.

You can attach the files here if you want a second opinion, but it's a slim hope.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
martin o

Post by martin o »

I thought as much :/.Well anyways thanks for the help :D ,guess I learned the hard way to have back up copies on a zip drive :lol: .
Windows 32 bit.