Avery Templates

Using them, Making them, Finding them
JPhilip03

Avery Templates

Post by JPhilip03 »

I am trying to import Avery Office Products Templates into Open Office and can't seem to make it work. I would appreciate any help in doing this.
acknak

Re: Avery Templates

Post by acknak »

I expect you're going to have lots of trouble doing that. The templates are for MS Word, no? OOo has it's own way of doing labels that I doubt is going to cooperate with imported Word templates.

OOo comes with a large selection of label layouts. Just use File > New > Labels.

If the template you're trying to use is available on the web, you can post a link here and we could take a look and see how it goes, or you could see if the worldlabel.com folks have a compatible template (they have a number of templates designed for OOo).
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

For the most part, Word templates do work with OpenOffice and many users have recommended starting with those when OpenOffice templates don't already exist. Word templates are not complex, so OpenOffice typically handles them gracefully, sometimes with one or two minor adjustments needed because of how Office and OpenOffice handle the rounding of measurement numbers.
JPhilip03 wrote:I am trying to import Avery Office Products Templates into Open Office and can't seem to make it work.
Sorry, JPhilip03, but that's just too vague. How can we help you solve problems you're having if we don't know what those problems are? This could be anything from opening the templates to filling them in to formatting them to printing. Please describe specifically the steps you're taking and the results.

A different approach that might work for you is to use the Avery Design Pro 5 software instead of trying to use the Avery templates. This makes it easy to design labels and use mail merge if needed. Other OOo users have reported great success with this software. The "limited" version is free: http://www.avery.com/us/Main?action=sof ... ecode=3200
Short version of that URL:
http://lookleap.com/avery.com/a1
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry, I didn't mean that the Word templates can't be used at all, only that they will be imported as plain documents, not as "labels", so you won't have any chance to get help with setting up the fields, data source, synchronizing the content etc.. But to be honest, I'm only assuming that--I haven't tried it myself, so I could be wrong even with that!
RaptorJ3sus

Post by RaptorJ3sus »

Openoffice didn't have one so, I made a custom template for the Avery 5195 (42895) Labels (2/3 by 1 and 3/4 inches).

YMMV. Change the margins to suit your printer.
Return Address - Avery 42895 - HP6500.odt
(11.19 KiB) Downloaded 8703 times
OpenOffice 3.1 on Ubuntu Linux
unitheory
Banned

Post by unitheory »

RaptorJ3sus wrote:Openoffice didn't have one so, I made a custom template for the Avery 5195 (42895) Labels (2/3 by 1 and 3/4 inches).

Just what I was looking for! Thank you so much!!

If the text is aligned left it has to be moved to the right about 0.06" I also have an HP printer (Deskjet F4280) and it worked perfectly.

Awesome, thanks again!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue May 10, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: live link disabled.
OpenOffice.org 3.2 Ubuntu 10.04
goonxxi

Post by goonxxi »

I had similar problem. I found when I manually entered the measurements for the lables, I would have label creep up or down by about 1/16 inch per row. This led eventually to unusable labels on each sheet. If I corrected for upward creep, the next set would creep down, and vice versa - very frustrating. While searching for templates for the labels I found you can EASILY make and print your own labels from the Avery website. Much easier than fist-fighting with the manual adjustments.
OpenOffice 3.3 on windows vista
acknak

Post by acknak »

I would have label creep up or down by about 1/16 inch per row.
This is a design limitation when Writer is working in English units--it simply doesn't provide precise enough measurements in some cases.

The work around is to create your template with the "measurement unit" set to "millimeter". You can change setting again later, as long as you don't edit the template.
unitheory
Banned

Post by unitheory »

johncenas wrote:Template is the one type of the related word sentence.Template is very usefull in the mobile as well as computer system.
We can make template in the specified location .We can edit the template and the modifie the template.Template consist the specify meaning of the word.
Template is help us to save time of the making or writing the sentence .
I think I speak for everyone here when I say: WTF??
OpenOffice.org 3.2 Ubuntu 10.04
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

unitheory wrote:I think I speak for everyone here when I say: WTF??
I guess so.

Next time you see something like this, please use the report button to say WTF. (It's that little triangle with an exclamation mark at top right of every post.) That way, the moderators are notified and can take the necessary measures. After a post is reported, the next user wanting to report it will get an "already reported" message, without wasting forum space/screen real estate.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
Ilanausesopenoffice

Post by Ilanausesopenoffice »

RaptorJ3sus wrote:Openoffice didn't have one so, I made a custom template for the Avery 5195 (42895) Labels (2/3 by 1 and 3/4 inches).

This is GREAT thank you for sharing that. But I'm trying to make labels from an excel of info that I have, so I was previously trying to use mail merge. But with your doc, I don't seem to be able to delete any of the text that is in it ("your address" etc), even if I save it as a new document, nor do I know how to merge in another document to fill each label section. Help!!!

thanks!
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows 7
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

When the file is open click the edit button. Say yes when asked if you want to edit a copy of the file. Always so no to updating any of the links.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
barbiebedia

Post by barbiebedia »

where can I find more template? :alarm:
please help!
Thanks
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

barbiebedia wrote:where can I find more template? :alarm:
please help!
Thanks
Google
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
doehlert

Post by doehlert »

Hope this isn't covered on some other post. Thank you for the template, at least it provides a way to make a change across all of the labels. The .doc file from Avery looks the same w/o that feature. Is there any way to get this into the file/new/label menu option? I have all these labels listed in there but cant find this one or a good substitute.

Thanks in advance for any help and not flaming me if this is already answered elsewhere.
Mr. D
LibreOffice 3.5.3.2
Build ID: 235ab8a-3802056-4a8fed3-2d66ea8-e241b80
Windows7 Home Premium SP1
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

If you are referring to the template attached above the answer is no, you cannot add to File-->New Labels. Use File--->Templates -->Organize. On the Commands button select Import template and navigate to the downloaded file. To use the template: File-->New-->Templates and Documents
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
ensabahnur

Post by ensabahnur »

I've found that if you go to the avery website (www.avery.com) go to Templates & Software > Design and Print Online > type the product that you are using (in my case i was using the 5195). I added a text field and then import data ( i was able to use a xls file and it let me select what fields to choose). On the top of the design screen you can see that step 4 is preview and print. It will export your info to a pdf file and you should be able to print it. It's not using ooo but at least it's decent workaround till a template gets put out. Good Printing ;)
Ensabahnur
ooo 3.3.0
windows 7 standard 64 bit
Paolo38

Post by Paolo38 »

Regarding the 5267/8267 return address labels: The "new label document" page does NOT
allow formatting the address before the document is created. Then I must format
each field (label) individually in order to fit the address into that label. Needless
to say, this is tedious and time-consuming. HELP!!
OpenOffice 4.01 on Windows 8.1
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

On the options tab make sure Synchronize contents is checked. Then you can format the first label position to your liking. Click the Synchronize button to copy the contents to the other labels.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
mandywr

size of label in Templates

Post by mandywr »

I created a template for my "viking Labels a year ago , but have not been sufficiently accurate on label depth ( I think it is short by about 2mm) , so that the bottom (7th) row of labels is printing about 1 cm too high up the page. How can I edit the depth rather than starting again from scratch. I do not have a note of the measurements I gave. Can I find out from the template?
windows XP
Open Office 4.0.1