Saved Spreadsheet as ODT

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
d4dallas

Saved Spreadsheet as ODT

Post by d4dallas »

I just started using the spreadsheet and I saved the several sheets as ODT file. Is there a way to change them back to ODS files? I tried changing the the ODT extension but couldn't.
Win7 Openoffice3.2
FJCC

Re: Saved Spreadsheet as ODT

Post by FJCC »

Can you explain in detail what you did? I don't see any way to save a spreadsheet as an odt file. You can save a spreadsheet as a Text file (also known as a CSV file) but that is different from a true odt file. The extension is not important in determining the format of the file, so don't worry about than.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
d4dallas

Post by d4dallas »

My main hard drive was was starting to go bad. I move the files to a back up drive. When I tried to open them they came up in Office writer. There are 5 files I created in the last month. "TD-AmeritradeIRA-8-5-10 8/5/15/2010 2:15PM ODT file 276KB" The other 4 have the same name but different date. I getting a bunch of # signs for data. I have had them opened several time befor I moved them and they were OK. I believe I saved them with the ext just befor I quit using the othe hard drive. It was doing a drive scan about every other time I started my computer. It is still working but I don't trust it so I uppluged the power supply to it.
Win7 Openoffice3.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

That doesn't look good. Files opening and showing ###s are corrupt. Try once more to transfer them off the main drive.
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =6&t=17677
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
d4dallas

Post by d4dallas »

I have copied the file several times off of the main drive. Same problem when I try to open one it come up in the Writer file. I used properties and forced it to open with
calac but the calac program thinks the file is a text file and tries to convert it. Is there any way to change the ODT extension to ODS. I tried doing a name change and put .ODS on the end but it just adds .ODT.
Win7 Openoffice3.2
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See the topic linked above. A bunch of #### just means that the file is dead. Sorry. Nothing to do except get a backup you've stored somewhere.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is possible tht the failure of your main drive, either as a direct drive failure, or caused indirectly by the failure of some other component in the computer (a flaky bridge chip, for example) has corrupted the copies of the files on your main drive. If this is so, there is nothing to be done. If the copies on the main drive are OK, then you need to copy them off the drive onto some other device, using proper external device discipline. The exact extension should not worry OpenOffice; it is very good at sorting out which of its components should open a file.

If you keep getting ####s I fear your files are lost.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS