Data display issue in a chart when copying from Calc to Draw

Discuss the spreadsheet application
frozenleaf

Data display issue in a chart when copying from Calc to Draw

Post by frozenleaf »

Hi,

I've got an issue where the data displays oddly in a scatter plot when I transfer the chart from Calc to Draw. Some of the charts copy over fine, but some seem to re-order the plotted data, such that the data on the x axis is not plotted with their x value, but with the order that they are listed in the data table. I've searched on this site and other forums but I wasn't able to find a discussion involving a similar problem. I've attached two screenshots, one with the way the chart displays in Calc, and one with the way it displays in Draw. Since this is data for thesis work, I'd rather not upload the original spreadsheets, but i might be able to recreate the situation with mock data if that helps.

Ultimately all I need to do is save these plots as high resolution tiff files, and no screen capture resolution is not high enough. If there is any other way to do this in Calc, I'd love to know but I didn't think there was.

Thanks for all your help!
Attachments
How the scatter plot appears when I paste into Draw (in red). Not how it looks all different
How the scatter plot appears when I paste into Draw (in red). Not how it looks all different
How the scatter plot should look, as it appears in Calc (in red)
How the scatter plot should look, as it appears in Calc (in red)
Open Office 3.1 run on Ubuntu 10.04
acknak

Re: Data display issue in a chart when copying from Calc to

Post by acknak »

Well, not every xy chart shows this problem, so I have to assume that it's something specific to your worksheet/chart.

There's no other way to export a chart as an image (that I know of); that's Issue 18809: Export chart as htm from calc sheet. You can register there and add your vote (up to two) or comment.

Other than that, I'm not sure there's much we can tell you without having your sheet to look at--or at least a sample from it.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
frozenleaf

Post by frozenleaf »

Hm, okay thanks I'll create some mock data to try to replicate the problem.
frozenleaf

Post by frozenleaf »

Hi!

So I was able to reproduce the problem somewhat. Most of the lines appear in the right place, but with the picture I uploaded there is even more distortion.

Thanks again!
Attachments
Test1.odg
Screwed up looking chart cut-and-paste
(28.23 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
test 1.ods
spreedsheet with data and chart
(30.79 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
acknak

Post by acknak »

Great--thanks.

Am I correct that the only problem with the chart in the drawing is the "Threshold" data set?

If so, the problem is corrected if I simply double-click the chart after opening the file in Draw. That re-draws the chart and the "Threshold" line appears in the right place after that.

Does it work for you also?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
frozenleaf

Post by frozenleaf »

Sorry I've been a way for a week.

No the problem doesn't go away if I double-click, move or resize (to get it to re draw). Do you think this has to do with my version of OO?

But I was just thinking now that I built the chart by selecting the data colums (which all contain the same number of points or values) but the threshold line only contains two (so the data column contains two, or a different number than the data). I havn't gone back yet to check my real data if the lines that are also screwed up are the same, but do you think this is the problem?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Many of the Ubuntu using volunteers on this Forum use the vanilla version of OOo from www.openoffice.org.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS