[Solved] How do I create a drop down list

Discuss the database features
rogerrkh

[Solved] How do I create a drop down list

Post by rogerrkh »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using? 2.3.1
What Operating System (version) are you using? Windows XP Home
What is your question or comment?

I would like to create a drop down list for people to enter a date. I thought that I could create one for the day, one for the month and one for the year and then link them to a table with the information on.

I know that this can be done because I have done it in another database with OOO, but I cannot for the life of me, remember how to do it.
When I did it before I found a tutorial on the web, by a female (sorry cannot remember her name) which gave very good step bt step directions.
Does anyone out there have a link to this page or perhaps give me a few pointers on how to proceed.

Thank you in anticipation.
Last edited by rogerrkh on Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James
Volunteer

Re: How do I create a drop down list

Post by James »

James
www.8daysaweek.co.uk - A User-Focused OOo site.
Windows Easy Installation CDs & OOo on USB Keys, OOo for Mac OS X + Ubuntu CDs

Please read: Survival Guide for the forum
OOo 3.1.1 on Ubuntu 9.x + Windows XPP, Mac OS X
rogerrkh

Post by rogerrkh »

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Sorry this is not the web page I was talking about
rogerrkh

Post by rogerrkh »

I have managed to solve this problem.

Could one of the administrators mark this as solved for me as I do not know how.
James
Volunteer

Post by James »

Please let others know how you resolved the issue, it will help if this topic comes up in future search results.

If your issue is fixed we would appreciate it if you add [Solved] to the beginning of the title of your topic. You can do this by clicking the edit button on your first post above. Survival Guide: Tell us when your issue is SOLVED.
James
www.8daysaweek.co.uk - A User-Focused OOo site.
Windows Easy Installation CDs & OOo on USB Keys, OOo for Mac OS X + Ubuntu CDs

Please read: Survival Guide for the forum
OOo 3.1.1 on Ubuntu 9.x + Windows XPP, Mac OS X
rogerrkh

Re: [Solved] How do I create a drop down list

Post by rogerrkh »

How to change a text field to a drop down list box

Go to OOO base's main window.

In the left pane of the window click on Tables.

Select 'Use wizard to create table'

In the window that opens up you need to select two fields from the left pane and move them to the right pane. Select any two fields (it doesn't matter which as we will edit them in the next part) and move them to the right pane.

Click 'Next'

Now we need to edit these fields to what we need :-

1.An ID field - Call it 'Week-ID' - This field needs to be of type 'Integer [INTEGER] with the autovalue section set to 'No', the Entry required section set to 'No' and the length section set to '10'.
2.A text entry field – Call it 'Weekdays' – This field needs to be of type 'Text [VARCHAR] with the entry required section set to 'No' and a length of '50'.

Click 'Next'

In the window that opens up select 'Use an existing field as a primary key'

In the FieldName section select 'Week-ID' from the drop down list.

Click 'Next'

The next window is where you save your form.

Name your table as 'Weekdays' – make sure the 'Insert data immediately' is selected and click 'Finish'

Now we need to enter the data in the required fields

The window that has opened up has 2 columns – 1 for the id and another for the data

Left 'Click' in the first blank field – enter the number '1 (one)' for the ID and press 'the tab key' on your keyboard. The cursor moves to the field on the right – type 'Saturday' in this field and then press the 'tab' key again. ( This is the best way to move from field to field,)

type '2' in this field and press the 'tab' key type 'Sunday' in this field. Carry on entering data in the above way until you type 'Friday'. Press the 'tab' key again to go to a blank line.

Now click the red 'X' (close window) a dialogue box will open asking if you wish to save the table.

Click 'Yes' and save the table. The computer saves your data and closes this window.

We now need to create a new form so click on 'Forms' in the left pane.

Select 'Use Wizard to create a form'

In the window that opens up select the table you have just created from the drop down list under 'Tables and queries'

The window should now show all the field in the table listed in the left pane.

Move all fields to the right by left clicking on the '>>' button.

Click 'Next'

In the next window is the option of adding a sub form. We do not need a sub form so just click 'Next' again.

Select the style you require and click 'Next'.

In the next section make sure that 'the form is to display all data' is selected and click 'next'.

Check the name of your form is correct and Chose the colour you require for the background and click 'Finish'.

The next step is to enter the new field in the database.

Open the database that you require the field on.

Select 'List box' from the left hand side menu.

Select where you want to put your new field and add it it in usual way.

A pop up window will open. Select the table you have just created from the lost in the window.

Click 'Next'

In the next window left-click on 'Weekdays'

Click 'Next'

In this window you need to left-click on the field which you wish the list to be linked with in the left pane and the field which holds your data in the right pane/

Click 'Finished' .

You can move this field to anywhere with the usual method. The only other thing to remember is that if you are changing the field type from one type to a list box type then you will need to delete the old field.
shanrid

Post by shanrid »

Thank you very much for this solution-- I have followed your instructions through the step "Chose the colour you require for the background and click 'Finish' (This is the end of creating the form)

Then you instruct: "The next step is to enter the new field in the database. Open the database that you require the field on. Select 'List box' from the left hand side menu."

Question: Do you mean "database" or "form" because i can't find anything like this in the "database". If you mean "form" and I follow the instructions to select the list box and add the field, I do get a pop up window but none of the language or instructions, such as a "Next" button are here.

I cannot seem to match the final instructions with what i am seeing on my form field controls.

My goal is to change a text field to a drop down list.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows Vista Ultimate
Arineckaig
Volunteer

Post by Arineckaig »

My goal is to change a text field to a drop down list.
OO.o Base also has a useful Date Field form control that can be directly linked to a field in a database table. If the drop down property of the Date Filed is set, the required date can be selected from the monthly calendar that is then displayed. It can be found under More Controls ... on the Form Controls toolbar.

See http://documentation.openoffice.org/man ... thBase.pdf, in particular the pages leading up to page 39.

See also http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... ld+#p71911
When this issue has been resolved, it would help other users of the forum if you add the word - [Solved] - to the Subject line of your 1st post (edit button top right).
AOOo 4.1.5 & LO 6 on MS Windows 10 MySQL and HSQLDB
shanrid

Post by shanrid »

Thank you for your response. I was not actually looking for a date/calendar dropdown but an editable text field drop down list-sorry if my question was unclear.

At any rate, I did figure out the missing step in rogerrts's instructions:

After you create the form, open the "form" in edit mode (not the "database".)

Then make certain that the field wizard (the magic wand) is active. Now when you select a combo field from the tool bar, the popup will appear and you go from there--very simple.

Thank you for the link to the manual--a life saver!
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows Vista Ultimate
Arineckaig
Volunteer

Post by Arineckaig »

My apologies, Shanrid, I was replying in the context of the earlier posts, but relieved it was of some help.
When this issue has been resolved, it would help other users of the forum if you add the word - [Solved] - to the Subject line of your 1st post (edit button top right).
AOOo 4.1.5 & LO 6 on MS Windows 10 MySQL and HSQLDB
rowzadeh

Post by rowzadeh »

Thank you rogerrkh & shanrid, I have am a new user and this is my first attempt at creating a database with a dropdown list. I found your instructions very useful but at the end, where shanrid pointed out in his comment, I do not see what you guys say the screen will show. on my screen when I am in the Form and in edit mode, I do not see an icom of Magic Wand, and do not see any pop up windows. I am using Mac Mountain Lion. What am I doing wrong?
I have been able to successfully create a database and its related form. I have managed to make the field that I want to show the down arrow (therefore ready to accept a list). the step that I am unable to find is how to create a list that should show up in this dropdown.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Mountain Lion
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

Hello

You must activated the wizard for listboxes. For more information follow the links.

There are two sub forums for Base one for Tutorials and one for examples you can find there a lot of information

More to read
I think a good starting point can maybe this [Tutorial] Forms in OpenOffice.org Base. You can find there also links to other tutorials. Not all tutorials are even important for you

This tutorial of Arineckaig describes what you can do with the Navigation toolbar and with the navigation control.

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2