"Maximum number of rows exceeded"

Discuss the database features

"Maximum number of rows exceeded"

Postby desert tarheel » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:33 am

If you go to http://phoenix.gov/phxpros.html, scroll over "Interactive Disclosure Center", and click on "COBRA data download," you will see "COBRA 8000 result records". This is a MS Access database containing the field usage and maintenence data for the most current model of alcohol breath testing machine in use by the Phoenix Police Dept.; criminal defense attorneys such as myself review this data in DUI cases to make sure the machine used to test the defendant was working properly and had been adequately maintained and quality assurance tested. But it is a big database (as you can imagine), and if you try to open it w/ OpenOffice, you get an error message that says "The maximum number of rows has been exceeded. Excess rows were not imported." This is not good. Anyone know what to do about this?
desert tarheel
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: "Maximum number of rows exceeded"

Postby squenson » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:49 am

desert tarheel,

The big file (40 MB) contains 280,041 records, well beyond the limit of Calc which is 65,536. You should open the file using Base, the database tool provided with OOo. Open a new Base, then in the Wizard select the option "Connect to an existing database" and then in the combobox choose "dBase" and press the "Next >>" button. In the next window, type the path of the file, then again press "Finish", then finally select a place where to store the Base database. Then, you can click on the table RSTL8000 and browse through it.
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 14.04
User avatar
Posts: 1885
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:21 pm
Location: Lausanne, Switzerland

Re: "Maximum number of rows exceeded"

Postby DrewJensen » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:01 am


Well I went and downloaded the file. It is a dBase file not an MS Access file BTW. The web site lists MS Access as a tool for opening it.

However you can use Base to do so instead. The first problem is that when it downloads it is a file named RSLT8000.DBF and Base has a silly problem with the capital letters so rename the file with RSLT8000.dbf.

Now create a new Base file. File > New > Database
On the first page of the Base wizard select "Connect to existing database". In the drop down combobox select dBase and then follow the wizard, setting the location to the directory where you stored the file.

Using Base this way the file opened right up for me and displayed all 282,494 records. ( I did this under Linux but MS Windows should give you no problem either )
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
User avatar
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:01 pm
Location: Cumberland, MD - USA

Return to Base

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests