[Solved] Inserting Rows

Discuss the database features
Sassyaugustchyck

[Solved] Inserting Rows

Post by Sassyaugustchyck »

How can I insert a new row in between current rows of a Dbase? I have a list of patient's that i keep up with that all have a different category. When i attempt to insert a row in between, it always adds it to the end...
Last edited by Sassyaugustchyck on Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7
therabi
Volunteer

Re: Inserting Rows

Post by therabi »

Sassyaugustchyck wrote:How can I insert a new row in between current rows of a Dbase? I have a list of patient's that i keep up with that all have a different category. When i attempt to insert a row in between, it always adds it to the end...
You can only add rows to a database. That said when you design you reports you can place that row any where you want. In other words the rows do not have to be displayed/printed in the same order they are in the database.

HTH
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Just to be certain, are you keeping a database, using Base or some other database tool, or is it a Spreadsheet, where the entire content of your work is displayed onscreen in a grid?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Sassyaugustchyck

I clicked on Base......created a table, imported the patient information, saved it, closed it.....then when i double-clicked on the database table, it opened up. i have arranged my patient's first by parish, then by category....i need to change the category of a patient which it allowed me to do, but i also need to move it down in my table in alphabetical order under the new category! I can't figure it out...if i could insert a new row between two different patient's, I could just retype or copy and paste the information. But when i insert a new row, it goes to the bottom and i can't move it..PLEASE HELP!
Sassyaugustchyck

I also created a form and tried to enter new information using the form, it wouldn't allow me to do so...it kept giving me an error.
therabi
Volunteer

Post by therabi »

Sassyaugustchyck wrote:I clicked on Base......created a table, imported the patient information, saved it, closed it.....then when i double-clicked on the database table, it opened up. i have arranged my patient's first by parish, then by category....i need to change the category of a patient which it allowed me to do, but i also need to move it down in my table in alphabetical order under the new category! I can't figure it out...if i could insert a new row between two different patient's, I could just retype or copy and paste the information. But when i insert a new row, it goes to the bottom and i can't move it..PLEASE HELP!
Can you send a copy of the database with some sample data? It would be easier to help if we can see what your doing.
Sassyaugustchyck

Parish Category patient
natchitoches II Joe Smith
Sabine HS Joe Berry
Sabine II Jimmy Deloach
Sabine II jeffery Tate

ok, now say i want to change jeffery to HS category. I need to move his row up between Joe Smith and joe Berry.....How do i do that?
Sassyaugustchyck

In Wordperfect.....I use data and merge with a form. How do i create a form that i can merge information from the database in openoffice with? And how would i merge that information? Like if i only wanted to merge certain patient's?
therabi
Volunteer

Post by therabi »

Sassyaugustchyck wrote:Parish Category patient
natchitoches II Joe Smith
Sabine HS Joe Berry
Sabine II Jimmy Deloach
Sabine II jeffery Tate

ok, now say i want to change jeffery to HS category. I need to move his row up between Joe Smith and joe Berry.....How do i do that?
You are missing the point. A database stores data as it is entered, one record at a time. That data then is displayed/printed from the query. There you define how you want the data displayed.
Sassyaugustchyck

In Wordperfect.....I use data and merge with a form. How do i create a form that i can merge information from the database in openoffice with? And how would i merge that information? Like if i only wanted to merge certain patient's?
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

Hello

I think it is a bad habit to repeat a question where people are saying it is not possible.

A good habit is asking how you can do it.

For you I think start study a tutorial how to design a database, that is what you need there you are designing a database. I don't know how what your database is but it can be possible to make a column which contain the field value you need. When you have made that field value then you can change that value and reorder your form.

When you want have a database what is the same as you did have continue to use your old program.

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
therabi
Volunteer

Post by therabi »

Sassyaugustchyck wrote:In Wordperfect.....I use data and merge with a form. How do i create a form that i can merge information from the database in openoffice with? And how would i merge that information? Like if i only wanted to merge certain patient's?
I am no expert but I am sure it can be done. I will find out and get back with you if no one else can give you the details. I would also suggest that you read http://documentation.openoffice.org/ser ... lderID=778 . The first two parts gives great details about designing a rational database. The third part goes into detail about using Base.
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

Hello

This link
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10552709/FilterExamples.zip
is to a tutorial of Arineckaig and describe how you can use a form. He describe there several things what can be real useful.

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
Sassyaugustchyck

Thank you so much!