Embedded mailto:

Discuss the word processor
drsos

Embedded mailto:

Post by drsos »

I am creating a document in writer. In writer there is no hyperlink on my email. When I export my document into pdf using the export as pdf option, my email becomes a mailto: link.

How do I stop and fix this? I just want the email to appear as text in the pdf export.

Thank you.
Open office 3, Windows
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Embedded mailto:

Post by Zizi64 »

I just want the email to appear as text in the pdf export.
What do you want to see exactly in the PDF file:
a clickable email address without "mailto:" prefix string,
or
only the (not clickable, pure text) mail address string?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

My understanding is that the "mailto:" thing is responsable for the email address being clickable or not.
I did just a test case:
  • typed in a mail address
  • auto correction modified it to a hyperlink (with the tooltip saying: "Ctrl-Click to ...")
  • Checked in the Stylist on the character styles page that "Internet Link" is an applied style
  • Select the email address and did Ctrl-M for Default Formatting
  • blue underlined text transforms into standard black, no tooltip anymore, either
  • exported to pdf (without any extra changes in the export option dialog)
My pdf file showed a blank mail address, nothing clickable.

Did you type your document from scratch? Or was it sometimes saved in .doc format? Or converted from .doc?
In any case you should give it a go for Ctrl-M.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
drsos

Post by drsos »

Zizi64 wrote:
or
Just the mail address string, not clickable. For example, a.smith@hotmail.com. On the pdf export a.smith@hotmail.com becomes a clickable mailto:. I don't want this. I just want the user to copy and past if they want to contact me. Mail address as regular text .
Open office 3, Windows
drsos

Post by drsos »

rudolfo wrote:My understanding is that the "mailto:" thing is responsable for the email address being clickable or not.
I did just a test case:
  • typed in a mail address
  • auto correction modified it to a hyperlink (with the tooltip saying: "Ctrl-Click to ...")
  • Checked in the Stylist on the character styles page that "Internet Link" is an applied style
  • Select the email address and did Ctrl-M for Default Formatting
  • blue underlined text transforms into standard black, no tooltip anymore, either
  • exported to pdf (without any extra changes in the export option dialog)
My pdf file showed a blank mail address, nothing clickable.

Did you type your document from scratch? Or was it sometimes saved in .doc format? Or converted from .doc?
In any case you should give it a go for Ctrl-M.
I tested this in a new blank document. In the pdf export when the mouse passes over my email it's a click able mailto:. I want pure text, no mailto:.
Open office 3, Windows
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Maybe it is a workaround methode:
see the attachements:

I exported an example document:
email_export_as_pdf.pdf
(15.48 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
and I PRINTED with a freeware virtual pdf printer software (named: PDFCreator):
email_print_PDFCreator.pdf
(3.17 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
My PDF viewer: Foxit Reader
Last edited by Zizi64 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

OR (another idea):

You need to REMOVE HYPERLINK from email address:
Remove hyperlink.png
The PDF export procedure not modified the "link content" of "purged" email address (for me).
If you want to colored letters with underline, you must to format it manually.
email2.pdf
(15.3 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

drsos wrote:
Zizi64 wrote:
or
Just the mail address string, not clickable. For example, a.smith@hotmail.com. On the pdf export a.smith@hotmail.com becomes a clickable mailto:. I don't want this. I just want the user to copy and past if they want to contact me. Mail address as regular text .
I don't know if there's anything you can do about it. The addresses are exported as text by OOo. The PDF reader is recognizing them as email addresses and creating the links. I tested an ODT file with some email addresses as links and the same addresses as text. When exported to PDF and opened with Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader, all addresses became links. When the same PDF was opened with Nitro PDF Reader, only the links exported from OOo became links in Nitro PDF Reader--the others remained ordinary text.
drsos

Post by drsos »

Zizi64 wrote:OR (another idea):

You need to REMOVE HYPERLINK from email address:
The attachment Remove hyperlink.png is no longer available
The PDF export procedure not modified the "link content" of "purged" email address (for me).
If you want to colored letters with underline, you must to format it manually.
The attachment email2.pdf is no longer available

This does not work.

See attached example.
Attachments
example.pdf
(26.27 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
Open office 3, Windows
drsos

Post by drsos »

Bill wrote:
I don't know if there's anything you can do about it. The addresses are exported as text by OOo. The PDF reader is recognizing them as email addresses and creating the links. I tested an ODT file with some email addresses as links and the same addresses as text. When exported to PDF and opened with Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader, all addresses became links. When the same PDF was opened with Nitro PDF Reader, only the links exported from OOo became links in Nitro PDF Reader--the others remained ordinary text.
This answers my question of whether it was writer or pdf reader turning the something@hotmail.com format into automatic mailto: link.
Open office 3, Windows
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

See attached example.
wich attached example?
In my email2.pdf file the EMAIL ADDRESS is not clickable, with black color, non-underlided characters.
That I created by "removing the hyperlink", and "exporting as pdf".
 Edit: In Your example file (now I see it) the "something@hotmail.com" is not clickable (in my pdf viewer: Foxit Reader) 
drsos

Post by drsos »

Zizi64 wrote:
See attached example.
wich attached example?
In my email2.pdf file the EMAIL ADDRESS is not clickable, with black color, non-underlided characters.
 Edit: In Your example file (now I see it) the "something@hotmail.com" is not clickable (in my pdf viewer: Foxit Reader) 
I just tested it in foxit reader it is a click-able mailto: link on my. I think the pdf readers, just recognized the something@hotmail.com format as automatic links.
Bill wrote:
The addresses are exported as text by OOo. The PDF reader is recognizing them as email addresses and creating the links.
This is exactly what is happening here. Any solution?
Open office 3, Windows
rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

Seems like it is really a conversion that's happening inside the pdf reader.
I downloaded drsos' example.pdf and opened it in Acrobat Reader (6.0) and every email address appears as plain text. (This is just to add to the list of well behaved pdf readers.)
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
drsos

Post by drsos »

rudolfo wrote:Seems like it is really a conversion that's happening inside the pdf reader.
I downloaded drsos' example.pdf and opened it in Acrobat Reader (6.0) and every email address appears as plain text. (This is just to add to the list of well behaved pdf readers.)
Plain text that becomes a mailto: click-able when you move the mouse over.
Open office 3, Windows
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

drsos wrote:
rudolfo wrote:Seems like it is really a conversion that's happening inside the pdf reader.
Plain text that becomes a mailto: click-able when you move the mouse over.
There's nothing OOo can do about it. That's the way your PDF reader works. You need to take this up with the author of your PDF reader.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Zizi64 wrote:
See attached example.
wich attached example?
When I open your example document in Foxit Readoer or Adobe Reader, the email address is formatted as text, but it is clickable. In Nitro PDF Reader, the email address is not clickable.
drsos

Post by drsos »

Bill wrote: When I open your example document in Foxit Readoer or Adobe Reader, the email address is formatted as text, but it is clickable. In Nitro PDF Reader, the email address is not clickable.
Yes, the email address is plan text, but it is click-able. The click-able part is what I am trying to remove.

I tried WordPad, the samething happens, so this is something part of how the pdf program reads the document.
Open office 3, Windows
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Listen, the clickable behavior comes from the PDF reader, not the file itself.
Check the advanced configuration of your PDF reader, it may have an option to disable this automatic recognition.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

drsos wrote:
Bill wrote: When I open your example document in Foxit Readoer or Adobe Reader, the email address is formatted as text, but it is clickable. In Nitro PDF Reader, the email address is not clickable.
Yes, the email address is plan text, but it is click-able. The click-able part is what I am trying to remove.

I tried WordPad, the samething happens, so this is something part of how the pdf program reads the document.
I think everyone understands by now that you want to remove the clickable part. It can't be done. Forget about it. You have no control over the PDF readers that others use.