Change Default Options on new installations

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
abel

Change Default Options on new installations

Post by abel »

Hello,
I am migrating workstations in my office from MS Office to Open Office 3.2. Thankfully the migration has been painless till now.
After I install Open Office, I change the default Load / Save options under Tools>Options>Load/Save>General
to save in Microsoft Office compatible formats (97/2000/XP) and I unselect the Warn when not saving in ODF or default format.
I have to do this for a number of Workstations in my Office manually, which takes entire days :crazy:
And if I forget to change the settings on one workstation, I get complaints that the file is being saved to an unknown format. Most of our contacts still use Office 2003 and do not support the OOo default document formats.

My question: Is there an easier way to change settings after installation without manually changing them, like running a *.reg file after the install or creating an unattended installation which includes changing the settings?
OOo 3.2
Windows XP SP3
Hagar Delest

Re: Change Default Options on new installations

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

See for example (some other topics about that, a search with 'install default save office' keywords should give some hints): [Solved] Corporate install.

Note that using OOo to share documents in MS Office file format is rather dangerous IMHO. Especially if you have .doc files with tables. Remember that the import/export filters have been reverse engineered. So the quality may be not that good in some cases. Be prepared to lose time on reformatting documents, checking for data loss, ...

Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10