[Solved] Bullet options - looking for a check box

Discuss the word processor
daddog

[Solved] Bullet options - looking for a check box

Post by daddog »

I was wondering if it was possible to create a list that has check boxes in place of bullets.

I want to create a lengthy list of questions and would like it to automatically place a small check box prior to each question. Much like it would place a bullet after each time I press 'enter'. I don't see a check box as an option in the list of bullets.

I have gone to Format/Bullets and Numbering, which brings up the Bullets and Numbering window. Under the graphics tab I see lot of options, but none are a simple check box.

Anyone know how I can do this without having to manually enter in a check box after I type out each question and hit enter?

Thanks in advance. :)
Last edited by daddog on Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.1
Windows 7
acknak

Re: Bullet options - looking for a check box.

Post by acknak »

On the Bullets & Numbering > Option tab, you can configure the list to use any single character as the bullet. Just give it an open square and you'll have a check box.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See also that discussion: [Solved] Using a tick symbol regularly.

Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
daddog

Post by daddog »

Acknak, I can't seem to find a square box as an option.
I looked throughout the Option tab>numbering>and graphics, but I don't see a simple check box. :(
Feeling kinda silly. It sure looks and sounds like it would be easy, but I am missing it. :knock: For example the letter 'o' in wingdings is perfect but I don't see how to choose that as an option anywhere in bullets and numbering>options tab.

Hager thanks. I will look that link over, but it much of that thread sounds more complicated than what I am looking for. I am hoping I don't have to make any macros, but maybe I will. I would have thought having a box for a bullet would be an easy step or two.
OpenOffice 3.1
Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

No need to make a macro, that's just an example to insert a special character. You just have to change the character you need. Note that it's better to control the character in the list style as said above by acknak.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

Here's a sample document and instructions.

1) Select the list items
2) Click the “Bullets On/Off” button on the formatting toolbar
3) Click the “Bullets & Numbering” button on the pop-up (floating) toolbar
4) On the “Options” tab, click the “Character” button (labeled “...”)
5) Choose the character you want to use. There's an empty square box (#25A1) if you scroll down a page, or boxes with a check mark or “x” a little below that.

I would avoid using WingDings for anything: at least in the older versions, it's a non-standard font that uses tricks that are not needed anymore. If your document uses that font, then anyone who needs to open it has to have that specific font installed; otherwise, they will see the wrong characters.
Attachments
checklist.odt
(13.08 KiB) Downloaded 1274 times
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
daddog

Post by daddog »

Perfect! Thanks acknak! I appreciate the help gents! :)
OpenOffice 3.1
Windows 7