How to make my format in OpenOffice the same as in MS Word?

Discuss the word processor
transcriber

How to make my format in OpenOffice the same as in MS Word?

Post by transcriber »

So, I downloaded Open Office because I have started doing transcription work from home. I was told that I need to have Microsoft Word. Well, I can't afford that. So, Open Office seemed to be the next best choice.

BUT - I noticed that Microsoft Word uses different page sizes than Open Office does, and I can't figure out how to make them both have the same formatting. I noticed that it looks like Microsoft Word's pages go six inches across, but Open Offices go seven inches. Also, the length of the page in MS Works is 9 inches, but in Open Office it's approximately 9.5 inches. This is probably the most "newbie" question I could possibly be asking, but how do I make it so that Open Office has the EXACT same page size/margins/everything as Microsoft Word?

Thank you so much to whoever can answer this question, I will be so grateful.
keme
Volunteer

Re: How to make my format in OpenOffice the same as in MS Word?

Post by keme »

The first thing you need to do is to avoid MS Works always.

Then you can check that you have the same default paper settings (US letter, legal, A4, B5 or whatever) on both ends.

Next thing to fix is your margins. They're in print preferences in Word, IIRC, and in the page format in Writer.

The last thing you have to do is to accept that results will never be guaranteed to come out the same. Realize that OOo Writer is not MS Word. It will never be. Just like a Hummer vs. a Porsche 930, the performance is somewhat different.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10