Firefox 3.0 beta rocks my socks!

Talk about anything at all....
acknak

Re: Firefox 3.0 beta rocks my socks!

Post by acknak »

Can someone do a quick check for me, using FF3 beta? Can you see an image at this url: biome_lab.png?

For me, using FF3b4 on Linux, I see a completely blank page. I can't believe FF3 would have such an obvious bug displaying PNG images, but I can't think what other problem might be causing this. The image is fine in my current stable Seamonkey browser.

Any ideas that might save me from filing an embarrassing "bug"?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

acknak wrote:Can someone do a quick check for me, using FF3 beta? Can you see an image at this url: biome_lab.png?
Works in FF3B4 Windows XP
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Works fine with FF3B2 under Ubuntu Dapper.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

Thanks for checking--I'll keep asking around.
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

Have you tried a clean profile or at least FF safe mode?
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
acknak

Post by acknak »

Yep. Someone else reminded me and I just tried running it under a different user with no profile at all. Same result.

I've also downloaded "Swiftfox" and tried that--same.

Here's a couple more shots just for fun: What I don't see (69kb PNG).

Note that I can select the image and the properties are correct, there's just nothing displayed.

It's also affecting GIF images on some sites, e.g. Page comparison (493kb PNG). These shots compare what I see in Seamonkey (left) and Firefox 3b4 (right).

Note that the JPEG relief map background is rendered the same by both, but the GIF overlays (the radar data, the lines, the legends) are all rendered too light and partially transparent. The background is visible through the overlay labels in the right panel (FF3), but the overlays are opaque in the left (SM).
 Edit:  
PS: Here's the bug: Bug 411831: Scaled images rendered incorrectly; some images not shown at all (apparently Linux- & Nvidia-related)
Last edited by acknak on Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Followup with bug ID
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have just tested FF3 final release for one day and it indeed rocks :!:
Much faster than 2.0 (even faster under Windows than Linux it seems :roll: ).
All my extensions are available now (Clippings, All-in-one sidebar, Tab mix plus and All-in-one gestures for the most important). Terrific.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
EdH
Volunteer

Post by EdH »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:even faster under Windows than Linux it seems :roll:
This doesn't suprise me when Mozilla listed Linux as being a second priority for Firefox 3 development. Any non-Gnome Linux system is somewhere round the 29th priority.

Can't quite fathom why they went with the new forward/back buttons. They've made the artwork round yet the actual clickable areas are square, the dropdown box doesn't work both ways and why is the back button so much bigger than the forward button? Looks like something out of one of those hideous system utilities that far-eastern motherboard/graphics manufacturers insist upon designing to conform to no interface standards/common sense whatsoever.

I also don't like the new history in the dropdown box. It's listing order seems wrong. With any other browser in the entire world I can put in 'http://user.serv' and the newposts.php of this forum will be the first listed on the dropdown box as the first item, as it is the chained result that I have most recently visited. Firefox 3.0 does something different. The two line thing also makes it slower to look through a list of URL's.

I do prefer the default icon set over those in Firefox 2.0.x as they don't seem to have that 'turd brown' filter applied to them which Mozilla borrowed for the day from The Gnome Foundation. Still preferred the 1.x icons though, or the pre 0.9 icons.

I also prefer it no longer having the awful message about a session ending unexpectedly that was introduced in Firefox 2.0. It meant that you could not shut down your system with the software running, then start up again without it nagging you to say that it's lost it's marbles, a feature that unlike most programs with sessioning features, was compulsory.

I no longer use Firefox under Linux having moved entirely to Konqueror. I do use Firefox under Windows still.
OOoSVN - Version control for OOo documents under Unix
LibreOffice on Arch Linux
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

Seems to me a bit pointless to discuss appearances of Firefox, as a number of skins are available even for 3.0 (sadly, though, not my favorite yet... Metal Lion's 300, based on the movie). If you don't like how it looks, you can change it.

I have found that it's faster on both WinXP and Vista Home Premium, even with the large number of extensions I use. A few of my favorite extensions weren't yet made compatible with 3.0, but I used the Nightly Tester extension and so far have had no problems, fortunately. (That's not often the best solution especially between major releases, but it has --- knock on wood --- worked so far.) Point is, I'm using almost all of my usual extensions and FF now loads much more quickly than it used to.

By the same argument, I have no quibbles with the history. I have that displayed in the All-in-One sidebar so it looks the same as ever. If you don't like how FF works or looks, find an add-on that changes it to something you can use. IIRC, that's the entire point of FF development and its encouragement of independently designed add-ons.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
RGB

Post by RGB »

I'm using the kde4 + firefox3 theme (even if I'm still on kde 3.5.9). Being on alpha state it have some minor annoyances (mainly, when writing on a field, the cursor is slower than the text I write... this makes me think that I'm a really good typist...), but it looks a lot nicer than the default skin.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
DeShock

Post by DeShock »

EdH wrote: I also prefer it no longer having the awful message about a session ending unexpectedly that was introduced in Firefox 2.0. It meant that you could not shut down your system with the software running, then start up again without it nagging you to say that it's lost it's marbles, a feature that unlike most programs with sessioning features, was compulsory.

I no longer use Firefox under Linux having moved entirely to Konqueror. I do use Firefox under Windows still.
One of the things I like about Firefox is the ability to customize. You can turn this off per the mozillazine.org knowledge base: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Session_Restore

To disable the crash recovery feature, set browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to false:

* Type about:config in the Location Bar
* Press Enter
* Find browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash
* Double click to set it to false

To completely disable all session saving behavior, including the recording of session information, set browser.sessionstore.enabled to false:

* Type about:config in the Location Bar
* Press Enter
* Find browser.sessionstore.enabled
* Double click to set it to false
DeShock
Windows XP SP3, OOo 3.0.1, FF3.1b3, TB3.0b2
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP