[Solved] Angle symbol - vector notation

Discuss the formula editor
Frankydoody

[Solved] Angle symbol - vector notation

Post by Frankydoody »

Hi!

I'm trying to write equations with expressions in the form of vector equations in a polar reference coordinate system.

My problem is that I can't find an angle symbol in the special characters or in the symbol catalog.

For a visual of the symbol I'm talking about, see the 'vector notation' entry, under 'polar vectors' and 'cylindrical vectors'. Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_notation

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Last edited by Frankydoody on Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Frankydoody
Running OpenOffice.org 2.3.1 on MS Windows XP SP2 system (Intel Pentium M1.4, 1GB RAM)
Hagar Delest

Re: Angle symbol - vector notation

Post by Hagar Delest »

There is an angle character in the Special symbol set of the catalog (at least on my Ubuntu box) but it doesn't look like the one you're looking for. However, I can insert the U+2220 (unicode reference) character ∠ (available in the Insert>Special character dialog).

Do you really need it? I've made some maths during my studies and we've never used that symbol. As you're working in the polar referential, you do know that the second term is an angle (often recognizable by the fact that it's given as a fraction of π).

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
 Edit: BTW, you should look at that thread to add that symbol (available in many fonts it seems) in your Math catalog: [TIP]Adding new symbols to Math 
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Frankydoody

Post by Frankydoody »

The U+2220 character (∠) would be perfect, but I don't have this character in my Insert>Special Characters dialog.

It is true that there are ways to do without, but it is much more desirable in describing the phase of a current. And though we could use radians, we also often use degrees.
-Frankydoody
Running OpenOffice.org 2.3.1 on MS Windows XP SP2 system (Intel Pentium M1.4, 1GB RAM)
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Frankydoody wrote:The U+2220 character (∠) would be perfect, but I don't have this character in my Insert>Special Characters dialog.
Try to change the font until you find one with the symbol.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

There's a font support page here: U+2220 ANGLE (fileformat.info)

I found it in OOo's Insert > Special Character dialog in the "DejaVu LGC Serif" font, "Mathematical Operators" subset. The DejaVu fonts are free.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Frankydoody

Post by Frankydoody »

The 'Lucida Sans Unicode' also has it.

I know how to insert a special character in text, but not in a formula.

There is a function to change the font, in the attributes functions, but I can't figure out how it works (ie: I can't get it to show the U+2220 character).

Nevermind, I just got it. I found the page I needed in the help files to figure it out.

Basically, if anyone wants to know, I changed the 'Sans' custom font (Format>Fonts) from 'Arial' to 'Lucida Sans Unicode'. Then, with the special character in my clipboard, I pasted it as the second term of the fonts attribute function.

Code: Select all

font Sans ∠
The angle special character (U+2220) showing up as a square.

In describing the current, this is how it would look like in Math (the angle character showing as a square):

Code: Select all

vec I = 10 font Sans ∠ -20 Amps
Thanks to all who helped! And acknak, I love that Gary Larson's comic strip.
-Frankydoody
TheAmigo

Re: [Solved] Angle symbol - vector notation

Post by TheAmigo »

In the equation editor, you can also type %angle to get a similar symbol (looks more like a less than with an arc through it).
ancienthart

Re: [Solved] Angle symbol - vector notation

Post by ancienthart »

You can also set the symbol that the %angle codeword inserts by:

1. Clicking on the Catalog button
2. Selecting "Special" symbol set
3. Select the angle symbol.
4. Click on "Edit"
5. Find a more appropriate symbol, then Click Modify.
6. Click OK.

Additionally I have also created extra codewords such as a %triangle codeword by:

1. Follow all steps above from 1 to 4.
2. Where it says "Symbol" below the character table, enter a new symbol name, minus the %
3. Find a symbol in the character table.
4. Click Add.
5. Click OK.