[Solved] How to get the Current Cell or Current Sheet

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
ernestodeorozco

[Solved] How to get the Current Cell or Current Sheet

Post by ernestodeorozco »

Hellow, I guess my question is easy but didnt find how to do it.

In a OpenOffice Calc Spreadsheet

What is the method to get the cell that has the focus (from which the function is loaded). And the same for the Sheet.

The Current Cell and The Current Sheet.

Then, how to I get The Column Number and Row Number of this current Cell.

Thanks in Advance
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on Windows XP
ernestodeorozco

Re: Easy Question - How to get the Current Cell or Current S

Hello I found something, but ok now if I write "last()" in a cell It does not write the word "oops" on it after I hit enter, and it doesnt write anywhere, why is it???:

Code: Select all

Sub Main

End Sub

Function Last()
oSheet=thiscomponent.getcurrentcontroller.activesheet
oCell = ThisComponent.getCurrentSelection() 
oCell.SetString("oops")
End Function
Charlie Young
Volunteer

Post by Charlie Young »

Your method of getting the current selection is fine. But if your trying to write a user-defined function to enter into a cell, it is illegal for such a function to modify cell contents except through its return value (same as Excel, by the way). If you change your Last to a Sub, and run it from either Tools > Macros or from the IDE, it will indeed write "oops" in the current cell.

Sub Last()
	oCell.SetString("oops")

End Sub
if you want a function to write a string in a cell, you could do

Function fnLast(s As String) As String

fnLast = s

End Function
and then ENTERING =FNLAST("oops") in the cell will display "oops," but that's kind of pointless since you could just type "oops" in the cell without the function.

You could put "oops" in another cell, say A1, and then put =FNLAST(A1) somewhere, but, of course, you could more easily just do =A1.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows XP
ernestodeorozco

Thank you very much for your help.

I understand it looks pointless but what I want is this: after hitting enter in a cell, I want the code to search the last value below my current cell (the last cell that has content below the current in the same column) and type it, so when it finds an empty cell takes the last non-empty value and type it to the current cell. It seems very simple but I dont have any experience writing macros.

Now I got it done BUT it does NOT update when I change the values of the cells, I would have to write again "=Last()" in the cell and hit enter. I would like to know if you can help me to this get updated all time.

Thanks in advance, this is my code:

Function Last()

Dim finalValue
  Dim oCell,oSheets,oSheet,oDoc,cellText,column,row,s 
  oDoc = ThisComponent 
  oCell = oDoc.getCurrentSelection 
  column = oCell.CellAddress.Column 
  row = oCell.CellAddress.Row 

'cellText = oCell.getString 
  oSheets = oDoc.getSheets 
  ' oSheet= oDoc.getSheets().getByIndex(s)
  '  For s = 0 to oSheets.Count - 1 
   For s = 0 to 1000 
   ' oSheet= oDoc.getSheets().getByIndex(s)

if oSheet.GetCellbyPosition(column,row+s).getValue()=0 Then

else
   finalValue=oSheet.GetCellbyPosition(column,row+s).getValue()
   endif
  Next s 
  Last=finalValue
End Function
Charlie Young
Volunteer

Post by Charlie Young »

Your function should recalculate if you hit Ctrl + Shift + F9. If you want to make that recalculate automatically every time you modify the sheet, it's a bit trickier.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows XP
ernestodeorozco

Charlie Young wrote:Your function should recalculate if you hit Ctrl + Shift + F9. If you want to make that recalculate automatically every time you modify the sheet, it's a bit trickier.
Trickier and maybe difficult.
so... what is the normal way to do this? seems to be a common issue for anyone...
Charlie Young
Volunteer

Post by Charlie Young »

ernestodeorozco wrote:
Charlie Young wrote:Your function should recalculate if you hit Ctrl + Shift + F9. If you want to make that recalculate automatically every time you modify the sheet, it's a bit trickier.
Trickier and maybe difficult.
so... what is the normal way to do this? seems to be a common issue for anyone...
I'm not sure there is a normal way to do this, but here goes. Your LAST function is unusual in that its result is based on the position of the selection rather than on any particular cell value, thus the recalculation must occur whenever the selection changes, not just when cell values are modified. In the latter case one can use a modifyListener, but in this case one needs a selectionChangeListener, which I think I have managed to get working. To use it, run the macro

Setup_SelectionChangeListener

After running this, the entire document will be recalculated any time the cell selection is changed. That isn't so bad here because in this example there is only one cell to recalculate, that is A1, where I put the LAST function. The recalculation could be restricted if necessary, but maybe we'll discuss that later.

You can remove the listener with the Remove_Listener macro.

I also took some liberties with the last function itself. My method of finding the last value is much quicker, even though it looks for values all the way down to row 65,535.

Function Last()

Dim finalValue
	Dim oCell,oSheets,oSheet,oDoc,cellText,column,row
	Dim Cell As Object
	Dim oCells

oDoc = ThisComponent

oCell = oDoc.getCurrentSelection
	column = oCell.CellAddress.Column
	row = oCell.CellAddress.Row

if row <=65535 then
    	oCells = oSheet.getCellRangeByPosition(column, row, column, 65535).queryContentCells(23)
    endif
    finalValue = 0
    For Each Cell in oCells.Cells
		if Cell.FormulaResultType = 1 then
			finalValue = Cell.Value
		else
			finalValue = Cell.String
		endif
	Next
    Last=finalValue
End Function

Note that I'm also only working with the active sheet for now (except that anything anywhere in the document is recalculated).

I sure hope I understand what you're after.
Attachments
LastFunction.ods
Last Function - selection change example
(8.84 KiB) Downloaded 767 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows XP
ernestodeorozco

Thank you I appreciate your help and work. It has been good for my learning.
Have a nice day
Tommy

Re: [Solved] How to get the Current Cell or Current Sheet

Post by Tommy »

what about a macro to read the text inside the current selected cell?
-----
using latest X-LibreOffice release, made portable by winPenPack.com
http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.1354
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Tommy wrote:what about a macro to read the text inside the current selected cell?
Can't you read?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
antekg

Post by antekg »

ernestodeorozco wrote:Hello I found something, but ok now if I write "last()" in a cell It does not write the word "oops" on it after I hit enter, and it doesnt write anywhere, why is it???:

Sub Main

End Sub

Function Last()
oCell.SetString("oops")
End Function
Very usable - thank you. My problem is that setting date as a string changes format of the cell.

ThisComponent.getCurrentSelection().SetString(CStr(Date))
I would like preserve the date format as it has been preset in the spreadsheet design.
AOO 4.1.4 (Polish) on Windows 10 (64b) / AOO 4.1.0 on Windows Vista / (LibreOffice on Mageia Linux)
antekg

Post by antekg »

Found answer (does not touch format of a cell assigning date):

ThisComponent.getCurrentSelection().Value = Date
AOO 4.1.4 (Polish) on Windows 10 (64b) / AOO 4.1.0 on Windows Vista / (LibreOffice on Mageia Linux)
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

oCell.setValue(basic_date) failed at the time when this topic started because setValue used to take numbers only for cell values. The cell value could not be a Basic date. Some developer was so mercyful to implement a kind of implicit background conversion for this particular use case.

This can not work with other macro languages.
With Basic or any other language you can do the following in any locale context and with any document's NullDate setting:
oCell.FormulaLocal = strISO
where strISO is an ISO string in format "yyyy-mm-dd" or "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss.00" and the FormulaLocal property is a string you would enter into the formula bar (not necessary a formula expression starting with =)
Basic: oCell.FormulaLocal = Year(Date)& "-" & Month(Date)& "-" & Day(Date)
Python: oCell.FormulaLocal = time.strftime('%Y-%m-%d')
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
antekg

Post by antekg »

Dear Villeroy,
First, thank you for your reply.
Your code

oCell.FormulaLocal = Year(Date)& "-" & Month(Date)& "-" & Day(Date)
works in my macro perfectly.
I prefer my solution.

oCell.Value = Date
I assume, that OO Basic Date returns a float number coding date as a number of days since 1900/01/01. Thus, a cell value can be a Basic Date.
I don't think it is performed any internal conversion. Practicing Visual Basic Script, I suppose that result of Date has type of variant. If the Date is being assigned to a variable of numeric type such format is available.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Basic Date return a special date value which is specific to the Basic language. In the documentation of all Basic languages, Date (vartype 7) is different from any type of number (single, double, integer, long, vartypes 2 to 6).

Late office versions perform an implicit converstion to number when you using setValue with such a Basic value ... and look, they do it wrongly in some subtile use cases where the NullDate is different.

Open a spreadsheet.
Call Tools>Options>Calc>Calculation and set the base date from 1899-12-30 to 1904-01-01
Run ThisComponent.CurrentSelection.setValue(Date)
The date is 2021-11-05 because of the modified NullDate. StarBasic assumes 1899-12-30 without testing the document's NullDate

You have to do something like ThisComponent.CurrentSelection.setValue(Date + (ThisComponent.NullDate - Date)) but this does not work because the Null date is an UNO struct which can't be subtracted in Basic.
antekg

Post by antekg »

Dear Villeroy,
Thank you for the clarification of the variant types and discussion of the document's NullDate. I have learned a lot.
I have tested your variant of Date assignment to a cell in case of switching the base date. You are right. Your version is more robust than mine.
Your words
exotic spreadsheet applications
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=82181 make more sense to my approach, however.
I don't understand the phrase
Date + (ThisComponent.NullDate - Date)
. Probably, this idea should have following form:

Date - ThisComponent.NullDate
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Date + (ThisComponent.NullDate - Date) is plain wrong. I just wanted to indicate that you have to subtract the difference between ThisComponent.NullDate and 1899-12-30 (StarBasic's NullDate) from the current date before you can insert the resulting Basic date into a sheet cell.

This may work with Basic function DateSerial and my user defined ConvertDateTime:

dtCellValue = DateSerial(1899, 12, 30) - ConvertDateTime(ThisComponent.NullDate,"BASIC") + Date
oCell.setValue(dtCellValue)
without ConvertDateTime we may concatenate the parts of the UNO-struct to an ISO string and convert that to a StarBasic date:

obj = ThisComponent.NullDate
dtCellValue = DateSerial(1899, 12, 30) - cDate(obj.Year &"-"& obj.Month &"-"& obj.Day) + Date
or

dtCellValue = DateSerial(1899, 12, 30) - DateSerial(cInt(obj.Year), cInt(obj.Month), cInt(obj.Day)) + Date
The benefit of my ConvertDateTime is that you don't have to get your head round so many data types and functions. Just pass anything that represents a date-time and one of the names indicating the type you want to get back from the function as indicated by the spreadsheet attached to the tutorial. It converts all types of strings, integers, doubles and dialog control values in OpenOffice and in LibreOffice and with any NullDate setting.
The macro on Module1 triggered by the push button demonstrates the power of that function when translating between different types of form controls in LO/AOO and sheet cells with variable NullDates. OK, it does not handle any NullDates, but it helps you to handle them correctly.
antekg

Post by antekg »

Villeroy! Nice discussion. Thanks again.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Another answer to the original topic:
Install https://libreoffice.org/ which is the legitimate successor of OpenOffice.
Among hundreds of other new features, this application has shortcut commands to insert the current date or time into the active cell (BUT NOT the date+time, :evil: :roll: ).

The macro routine which inserts the current date-time correctly into the active cell (and nowhere else) independently from locale and NullDate settings may look like this:

Sub Now2ActiveCell()
GlobalScope.BasicLibraries.loadLibrary("Calc") 'my personal Calc lib
cell = Calc.modTools.getActiveCell(ThisComponent.getCurrentController())
cell.FormulaLocal = Format(Now, "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss") 'yet another alternative ;)
cell.setValue(cell.getValue())
End Sub
search "getActiveCell" in this forum for a Basic function which returns the active cell from any given controller (aka view or "window").
antekg

Post by antekg »

I need to get the column index of an active cell. I do it as follows:

Dim StartCol%
StartCol = ThisComponent.CurrentSelection.CellAddress.Column
It works well with the exception when CurrentSelection covers more then one cell. In the exceptional situation, the error is reported saying that the is no such property or method as CellAddress.
I decided to remove any potential selection by... imitating move the position of an active cell. Imitation is performed by declaration of the shift by 0. I do it using the dispatcher.

Dim StartCol%, args(1) As New com.sun.star.beans.PropertyValue, document, dispatcher As Object
Rem get access to the document
document   = ThisComponent.CurrentController.Frame
dispatcher = createUnoService("com.sun.star.frame.DispatchHelper")

Rem Remove a selection if any
args(0).Name = "By"
args(0).Value = 0
args(1).Name = "Sel"
args(1).Value = false
dispatcher.executeDispatch(document, ".uno:GoLeft", "", 0, args())

Is it possible to remove selection in the more natural, simpler way?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

search this forum for "getActiveCell". It actually returns the active cell of any spreadsheet window.
antekg

Post by antekg »

Dear respectfull Villeroy,
My current question sounds "Is it possible to remove selection in the more natural, simpler way?" Maybe you know another place on the forum to ask (?)
I know your solution "getActiveCell" you have been promoting. Congratulations for the sub.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

antekg wrote:I need to get the column index of an active cell. I do it as follows:
(Comes a sub collapsing the selection for the purpose.)
Regarding the original question of this thread and the quotation above this seems to be a workaround with grave disadvantages: The previous selection is lost, and even if the selection gets saved and restored in addition, the cell under focus will not be reinstated if it not was the topmost leftmost cell of the selection, in specific if it not was part of the selection at all. (Cf. Andrew Pitonyak: "Useful Macro Information".)
antekg wrote:Is it possible to remove selection in the more natural, simpler way?
I don't know one. Would like to know, however.
antekg wrote:... Maybe you know another place on the forum to ask (?)
This is a new question, and actually it should better be posted in a new thread of this forum. (The branch 'Macros and UNO API' is obviously the correct one if the "more natural way" is expected to be by user code again.

Concerning the also discussed task to enter something into the "active cell" (cell under focus) the way evaluating the .ViewData property (suggested by Villeroy) has the valuable advantage that you can do this without changing the current selection or moving the focus.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

antekg wrote:Dear respectfull Villeroy,
My current question sounds "Is it possible to remove selection in the more natural, simpler way?"
because you want to reduce the current selection to the active cell. And I tried to show you how to get the active cell in any situation. A spreadsheet controller's current selection can be a cell, a range, multiple ranges or shapes (rectangular objects on the draw page).

And no, I don't know an elegant way to reduce a range selection to the active cell.
 Edit: Oh, wait:
GlobalScope.BasicLibraries.loadLibrary("Calc")
view = ThisComponent.getCurrentController()
c = getActiveCell(view)
view.select(c) 
antekg

Post by antekg »

Dear Villeroy, Dear Loop,
I agree:
1. "to reduce the current selection to the active cell" is the correct phrase describing my intentions,
2. The getActiveCell with ViewData of Villeroy is the universal and robust sub,
3. I will start a new thread. My problem is a part of a larger project. In the project I move the position of an active cell anyway so it destroys the selection. I am collecting the potential risks applying this simple statement:
Thank you here.

Found browsing OOME_3_0 then https://github.com/apache/openoffice: main/sc/inc/sccommands.h and main/sc/sdi/scalc.sdi

dispatcher.executeDispatch(document, ".uno:Deselect", "", 0, Array())
... and finally

Dim document, dispatcher As Object

Rem get access to the document
document   = ThisComponent.CurrentController.Frame
dispatcher = createUnoService("com.sun.star.frame.DispatchHelper")

Rem removing a selection if any
dispatcher.executeDispatch(document, ".uno:Deselect", "", 0, Array())

StartCol% = ThisComponent.CurrentSelection.CellAddress.Column
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Sorry. I forgot:
In fact "JohnSUN-Pensioner" recently posted some code I did not understand. I asked him and since I should know: Instantiating a SheetCellRanges structure without any initialisation and giving it to the CurrentController for selection will collapse the existing selection completely and leave the focus on the cell that had it previously without selecting that cell:

tDoc=ThisComponent
tCC=tDoc.CurrentController
tNullSel=tDoc.CreateInstance("com.sun.star.sheet.SheetCellRanges")
tCC.Select(tNullSel)
Editing: I think I found the post by JohnSUN: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=90536&p=428025&hil ... s+#p428025

Please note that neither a "com.sun.star.sheet.SheetCellRange" object nor a "com.sun.star.sheet.SheetCell" object can be instantiated this way. You would get a Null Variant/Object.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
antekg

Post by antekg »

Thank you Lupp.
I have referred to the solution on the Polish forum https://forum.openoffice.org/pl/forum/v ... 319#p18319