[Solved] Day of the week calculations (Calc)

Discuss the spreadsheet application
sid_patelson

[Solved] Day of the week calculations (Calc)

Post by sid_patelson »

I have a spreadsheet containing a column of dates of the form mm/dd/yyyy. I would like to be able determine how many of these dates are "Mondays", "Tuesdays", "Wednesdays" etc. That is to say I would like to count how many of these dates fell on Monday, Tuesday etc.

Thank you for your help.

SP

8/3/2010
Thank you all for your help. All of the solutions worked. Given the number of entries in the spreadsheet the solution that didn't require an extra column was the easiest to implement.

SP
Last edited by sid_patelson on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice Version 3.2.1
Operating Syatem Vista 64 bit
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Day of the week calculations (Calc)

Post by Zizi64 »

In my opinion, you need to use the "Weekday(Date;Type)" and "Countif(Range;Parameter)" functions.
(See them in OOo Help.)
WeekdayCount.ods
(10.16 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Or, once you have a column containing the Weekday(Date;Type) function, you can use Data Pilot to get a report of the frequencies.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
mriosv
Volunteer

Post by mriosv »

With a matrix formula you can do it without an extra column, next the Zizi64 file with the formula added.
Attachments
WeekdayCount.ods
(10.8 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
LibreOffice 3.5.4 AOo-3.4 on Win 7 Ultimate