I have Office 2002 but my not all extensions work

Not sure where to post? Post here!
ttodd0450

I have Office 2002 but my not all extensions work

Post by ttodd0450 »

My wife is starting a new job and she gets an email from her new employer asking to fill out
the following forms ( 7 in all ):
three of them are word or .doc, / 1 is excel or .xml // but the other three are .XFD / .WPD / .XFDL ., ,,, ???

So I figured instead of buying a $600 Office 10 I'd start with this program I have been seeing and reading about for a few years now called OpenOffice.Org ..

So in a nut shell what I am looking for is for this .exe program (Openoffice.org) to "open and run" (silently) in the back ground and with any unusual file extension documents....... I am just wanting to right click and "Open With" ..

Am I on the right track with this?? or awaaay Off .. ???

Help please

Thankyou !!

Terry
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP
ttodd0450

Re: I have Office 2002 but my not all extensions work

Post by ttodd0450 »

OK so I download and run Office Org 3.1 and it gives me the options of starting and using word spreadsheet /presentations etc. but there is also the folder I am looking for : Open a file .. So it is able to open and display the Word perfect files but not the XFD or the XFDL ....
...... back to you please ...
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP
acknak

Post by acknak »

OOo is not a "free replacement for MS Office". If my employer expected me to work with MS Office files, then I would just use MS Office. Ask how they expect someone who doesn't have MS Office to handle the forms; they probably have a site license that will get you a copy of Office for nothing, or at a steep discount.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Search the Internet for "open xfdl files". I'm not familiar with that file type, but it doesn't appear to be a format that would be opened with OOo or MS Office.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

ttodd0450 wrote:My wife is starting a new job and she gets an email from her new employer asking to fill out
the following forms ( 7 in all ):
three of them are word or .doc, / 1 is excel or .xml // but the other three are .XFD / .WPD / .XFDL ., ,,, ???

So in a nut shell what I am looking for is for this .exe program (Openoffice.org) to "open and run" (silently) in the back ground and with any unusual file extension documents....... I am just wanting to right click and "Open With" ..

Terry
A quick look at http://filext.com/alphalist.php suggests that the new employer is shipping out a dog's breakfast of files.

OOo probably can handle the doc and xml files but who knows exactly what the others are? At the risk of annoying the employer I"d ask for the materials in PDF or at least doc or .xml format or, perhaps, just paper copies :roll:

I'd say it is rather unreasonable for a new employer to expect someone to buy new software just to fill out some stupid forms—well, okay maybe not stupid but still.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Hi,

From the above-mentioned site, WPD is a Microsoft Works extension, which I think can also be opened by Microsoft Office but NOT by OpenOffice. You could use http://zamzar.com to convert the document in OpenOffice (odt) orMicrosoft Office (doc) format.
As for XFD format, it seems to be related to Acu4GL, which is a program I know nothing about. Some kind of niche software, I would suggest.
Michel Gagnon
OOo 3.2.1 on Windows XP and on Windows 7.
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

acknak wrote:OOo is not a "free replacement for MS Office". If my employer expected me to work with MS Office files, then I would just use MS Office. Ask how they expect someone who doesn't have MS Office to handle the forms; they probably have a site license that will get you a copy of Office for nothing, or at a steep discount.
I agree. If she is employed with the company they might be a part of the Microsoft Home Use Program (HUP). It's the full Office 2010 Professional Plus for $9.95.

http://www.microsofthup.com
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on Linux Mint 9