[Solved] Autocorrect not working

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
TieraMarille

[Solved] Autocorrect not working

Post by TieraMarille »

Since I updated OpenOffice to the latest version, with exception of the word completion function, none of the auto-correct functions are working any longer in writer. I have checked that the appropriate boxes are checked and that the custom quotations are still directed to the right path, but not even my own custom auto-correction of words will work, nor will auto capitalisation after a period. It all works perfectly well in drawing though. :?

Windows XP
OpenOffice version 3.2.1
Java (Version 6 Update 20)

Any help will be very appreciated.
Last edited by TieraMarille on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Win7
Hagar Delest

Re: Autocorrect not working

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Firs make sure the language is correct (autocorrect is language sensitive).

Try to reset your OOo user profile. But during the welcome process, don't transfer your personal data (if you had 2.x), former configuration files might corrupt the new profile.

Make sure the standard autocorrect entries work. Then, try to replace the new ones (created by the new profile) by the old ones (in the former profile you've renamed).

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Make sure that Format - AutoCorrect - While typing is ticked, or it won't work.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
TieraMarille

Post by TieraMarille »

Thank you for your help! One files was indeed corrupted and moving them individually into the new user folder meant I could easily identify it.

I've been a user for many years (StarOffice got me hooked) and rarely ever had any problem, but this should have been obvious to me. :oops:
OpenOffice 3.3 on Win7
cpond

Re: [Solved] Autocorrect not working

Post by cpond »

I believe I know the answer to this problem of autocorrect not working. The "fix" as I have discovered is this: NEVER while in windows explorer, create a OOS:writer document ... creating an *.odt this way does something funny (not ha ha) to the application in that autocorrect and other features are not operable. To fix this problem ALWAYS create a new *.odt from with in the open office application. In other words 1) go into open office and then 2) create a new *odt . I hope this helps.
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Autocorrect not working

Post by Hagar Delest »

cpond wrote:I believe I know the answer to this problem of autocorrect not working. The "fix" as I have discovered is this: NEVER while in windows explorer, create a OOS:writer document ... creating an *.odt this way does something funny (not ha ha) to the application in that autocorrect and other features are not operable.
In fact, it can be workaround. See the corner case 2 at the end of that post.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10