Pictures suddenly stopped displaying

Discuss the presentation application
scotty

Pictures suddenly stopped displaying

Post by scotty »

I've spent over 20 hours creating my first Impress presentation, and was beginning to think I've got the hang of it... until about midnight last night, when all of the sudden about 1/2 my inserted pictures won't display anymore. :shock:

Right prior to the images not showing up, I was trying to add four pictures to one screen, and on the second image got a little box that said something like "graphics filter not found," and it wouldn't let me add any more pictures to that screen. This was the first time I've ever seen that. I started a new four-picture screen and the same thing happened on the second picture again.

I let things sit over night, in hopes that maybe something was just updating... but no luck. It still wouldn't show about 1/2 the pictures, just a little picture icon up in the top left corner. The text heading still displays.

I'm using Impress in OO 3.2.0.

I thought maybe my file was getting too large, so I deleted about 30 of my 170 screens (taking it back so that it was much smaller than when it last worked for me). Nope, still no pictures. :crazy:

Any ideas? Please help! I'd hate to lose 20+ hours of effort and what I thought was a very nice presentation!

Thank you!
Open Office 3.2.0 - Windows 7
acknak

Re: Pictures suddenly stopped displaying (Pictures won't dis

Post by acknak »

Ouch!

I'm not sure what we can do for you with no access to (at least) the document you were working on. There are several possible scenarios--it would be hard to even start to pin down what happened.

One distinct possibility is that you tripped over a bug in Impress. Bad things can happen, especially in a document with lots of images. It is always a good idea to make backup copies as you work--you should always be prepared to lose the document you're working on.

If you want to put the document up on a file sharing site, maybe someone here can take a look. It may provide some clues as to what's happened: You can use the "Upload Attachment" link (below the message entry area after you click "POST REPLY"). [Forum] How to attach a document here
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
scotty

Post by scotty »

Ouch again... I was saving my work on a regular basis, so I never thought I'd need a separately named backup.

Do you really want me to upload? It is 178 MB.
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

You can upload to the free file hosting site MediaFire and then post the link here.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

One thing you could do, which might cure the problem is install Sun Presentation minimizer from the Extensions repository. This will produce an optimised file of your presentation, with pictures embedded; it greatly reduces file sizes (in one case 80MB to 4 MB); you can continue to edit the optimised file and reminimise again.
 Edit: Also, you might tweak the memory settings under Tools / Options / openoffice.org/memory 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
scotty

Re: Pictures suddenly stopped displaying

Post by scotty »

To TheGurkha (nice picture of Johnny, by the way!)... I will "try" to upload to MediaFire. Wish me luck!
To RoryOF... Forgive my ignorance, but what is the Extensions repository? And, you're saying I cans still build and show my Impress presentation with this optimization?

Thanks!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Extensions Repository is at
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/

Minimizer link is
http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... nMinimizer

and yes, after minimising you can continue to edit, then to reminimise and use the minimised version to show, with no apparent loss of quality.
scotty

Post by scotty »

I've got the Impress presentation uploaded to MediaFire. The file is called Mission Trip Presentation.odp. I think the link is: http://www.mediafire.com/?2j0yc52je2m
Hopefully I did it correctly.

Anything you all can learn would be greatly appreciated!
scotty

Post by scotty »

RoryOF... I downloaded the minimizer and used it. It reduced my file down to about 34MB, and didn't seem to affect the quality at all. However, reducing the size did not fix the problem with the screens not showing. Help!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Approximately how many pictures do you think you have inserted into your presentation? You may have overflowed an internal counter - I'd be thinking of 256 or 512 as a significant number (more likely 256).
acknak

Post by acknak »

I have no idea why, but I can tell you that the file contents are broken. The "blank graphics" are just that: instead of a normal image reference, something like <draw:image xlink:href="Pictures/1000000000000CC000000990D8789D2E.jpg" xlink:type="simple" xlink:show="embed" xlink:actuate="onLoad">, the blank pages have only this: <draw:image xlink:href="">.

It doesn't appear to be due to broken links, it looks like Impress has simply tossed a bunch of the pictures. Maybe it ran into some error writing the document archive, or maybe some internal memory limit; I don't know. There's no obvious pattern to the blank images.

There are 173 slides, 197 image tags (61 of which are empty), and 136 image data files in the document.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I've just made a quick presentation of 394 slides, all linked to the same image; that worked OK. Later, if time permits, I'll try a presentation linked to multiple images (no images on this computer).
scotty

Post by scotty »

As acknak pointed out, I have (had) 173 slides, and 197 pictures. I had run through the presentation just a little bit before the "graphics filter not found" message box showed up, and everything was there. After the "graphics filter not found" showed up I noticed that the 61 pictures were gone.

But, it looks like, since there are NO images ( <draw:image xlink:href=""> only...), I'll have to go back and add every one that is missing. Is this a correct assumption?
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry, I meant to add that to my previous message: I don't see any other way to fix it, since the information (the file path/name) is completely missing.

It definitely looks like a glitch in Impress, but unless we can find some way to consistently trigger the bug, it's not likely to get any attention.

Clearly, from my experience and RoryOF's tests, it's not a simple "too many images" sort of problem.

We might get lucky and find that one of your image files triggers the problem--it could be a corrupt image file, or a bug in the filter. I would just be prepared to have it fail again: make a separate backup file of what you have... well, ok, the copy on mediafire should serve that purpose.

This is one situation where it would make sense to link in the images instead of embedding them: that would prevent having to manage such a large document file. I'm not suggesting starting over or changing your work pattern at this point, just something to think about for the next one ;-)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The point that struck me was the report that the second image failed on each of two four-up slides. I'll try a large multiple image file later tonight, if all goes well. Have been hampered by having to deal all day with a serious family illness.
 Edit: Were all (or most) of the images jpegs? Typically, what size were they? 
scotty

Post by scotty »

asknak... how does one link in the images?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I'd also suggest building the file in sections - say a part containing 100 sides, then another etc. Finally, when all sections are made, Insert File them one after the other into a blank file. If it goes bad, you at least have the components.
scotty

Post by scotty »

RoryOF...
So sorry for the family illness. I will pray for you.
On the files... they are all jpeg, about 1.3 MB.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Auugghhhhh! I just called up my minimized file to start adding in the pictures that are missing... and now there are 113 pictures missing, not just 61!!! What is going on!?!?!?
acknak

Post by acknak »

Ouch. Well, at least you have the backup copy to work with.
how does one link in the images?
When you insert an image, you get a file selector/browser dialog window. It should have an option checkbox near the bottom, labeled "Link". If that's ON (checked), then only a link to the image file will be placed in the document.

The up side with linked images is that the document is much smaller since the image data for the linked pictures is in the external file(s).

The down side is that you need both the document and all the linked files, in their proper locations, in order to display the slideshow. If you misplace a file, then you'll get a blank again.

You can get the best of both (I think) by linking the files at first, while you're editing the presentation, then going to Edit > Links and "breaking" the links to have OOo make an embedded copy of the images. I'm not sure what stage the minimizer works at; it would still be good to use it if you can. A smaller file is always better.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I made a presentation of 220 jpegs (using extension Photoalbum). which linked all the pictures. File size 0.1 MB. I then used Sun Presentation Minimizer to process the file, size 18MB, all pictures embedded. Nothing vanished. The jpgs were about 750KB each. Tomorrow, all going well, I will try some 4 up pictures, and perhaps add another few hundred jpgs. Done on OOo 3.2.1 build m18 on Ubuntu 10.4 on 4 GB Intel Core2 T5500 (2 x 1600MHz cores).
scotty

Post by scotty »

Just a thought... If I use linked pictures, then I won't be able to burn a copy of the presentation for other people, will I? I have to embed the pictures to allow others to have it? So perhaps my best bet is embedded but minimized? Is that what you are suggesting acknak ("You can get the best of both (I think) by linking the files at first, while you're editing the presentation, then going to Edit > Links and "breaking" the links to have OOo make an embedded copy of the images.")? RoryOF, did you also link, then "break" the link to embed?

(Sorry if I still sound confused... 'cause I am! :-) )

Thanks.
scotty

Post by scotty »

I just created a quick 12 picture presentation, with a four-picture slide included, without the link, and it was 12MB.
I then created the same presentation with Link checked, and it came out to 2.67 MB.
I then broke all links, and the presentation appeared the same, and was still 2.67 MB. :bravo:
If I create a presentation with Link enabled, and break the links, are the pictures then embedded? Will I be able to burn a DVD and give to the other trip participants?
Thanks.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Whoa! Something is not right. I just minimized the 2.67 broken-linked message, and it is now 32MB!!!! What's up with that???
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It will have increased in size because the minimizer breaks the links and embeds optimised (for size) copies of the pictures formerly linked. If you wish to share a presentation which contains linked images, you must send not only the presentation, but the image files themselves, in exactly the same positions as when you constructed the presentation. My method of doing this is to open a directory for each presentation, and in that directory place the presentation and all of the images I link into the presentation. Now disk space is inexpensive and one can afford the extra space used. After building the presentation the entire directory, including the images, can be archived to CD/DVD and the space reclaimed. The minimizer makes one self contained file, and this can be moved elsewhere if desired. Note that it does not embed movies or sound, so these files must always be moved with the presentation.
Last edited by RoryOF on Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Yes, if you want a single file that you can send out for people to watch, you will need to embed the images.

You could also export a PDF and distribute that. That would generate a single file that includes all the images and it would make it simpler for people to view the file (no need for PowerPoint). You may find that the file size blows up too large to easily handle, but it might be worth a try.
jondaman21

Post by jondaman21 »

I had exactly the same problem. I was having no problem creating my presentation. I had about 25 slides. Notable, I had about 30 pictures, all under 100 kB, most under 10 kb. This is very frustrating. I'm going to use linked images and hope things don't mess up again. I can post the presentation next week (after I've given it). Please look into this bug.

Update: Interestingly, while all of my gif's were lost, I had a couple jpg's that weren't (though another jpg was lost).
OpenOffice 3.2.0 on Windows 7 64-bit
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I've just checked through six presentations I have prepared and delivered over the past four years. Each has typically 70-80 mostly full screen illustrations, all either .tif or .jpg, no other formats, mostly colour. Not one has lost any illustration. They all start off as linked illustrations, and after running the Sun Minimizer they end up as embedded illustrations. I suggest two paths of action. Adjust the Memory options under Tools / Options/ OpenOffice.org / Memory. My systems are not short of memory, so I turn these values up as much as possible. Secondly, do not prepare your presentation with too many programs running; I might have Impress, sometimes an image editor, and an Internet Browser (Firefox or Opera).
desertmatt2000

Post by desertmatt2000 »

Same for odt's:
On three different occasions, different Word Processing odt files lost nearly all their images after I resaved before noticing they had been deleted. Later I could see the ~3 MB file size had shrunk to ~1MB. I can't say if they disappeared upon opening the files or while I was working. These files had originally been drafts in MSWord that had been resaved as odt's (and then extensively edited).
These are electricity and magnetism lab manuals I am rewriting for a major university physics department containing all self-made images, about 1-2 images per page on about 100 pages. Can you imagine all these images having disappeared? (I have them all stored elsewhere as jpg's, but still.) And I still had hundreds of pages left to incorporate.
For me, this is a deal breaker for using OO on serious projects so I must use MSOffice on a sandboxed Windows until I can transfer everything to latex. I'm not a kid typing up a 10-page college English paper; this is serious work that will be used by thousands of students. I am disgusted to have another reason to use MS (Silverlight being the other). Wah!
OpenOffice 3.2 on Ubuntu 10.04
Martel

Post by Martel »

Have the image source files moved.
Like, were the pictures working on another computer then will not show up at your home computer.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows XP MCE SP3

Thanks for the help