Trying to open a .oft file

Discuss the word processor
Georgia Boy

Trying to open a .oft file

Post by Georgia Boy »

Hi. I received an email that has a document attached. It's in an .oft extension. Tried to open, but only got this description then saying:
You have chosen to open(file name) which is a:Bin file from: mailbox:// would you like to save this file?" Gives you the choice of canceling or saving. I saved to documents folder section of my Home folder but can't seem to find anything to open this. I'm using Thunderbird for emails. I tried OOo writer and a couple others listed to choose from. I sent to myself in Evolution and had the same results. I tried to have it open in Writer but I get this list of various things to try and open with. None of them work. I tried the OOo, Star, Microsoft, WordPerfect, Templates, everything in there but to no avail. :crazy: Yes, I do also have this posted in the Ubuntu forums. I have Lucid only on my computer.

Any ideas? All advice welcome. I'm at a lost as what to try next. It's supposed to be a document for me to complete for work, but I just can't get the dang thing to open. Never had any trouble opening a MS file before.
Again, all help welcomed very much..

Thanks

Tom

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases your chances of a reply. (TheGurkha, Moderator)
Yea!!!! I'm still learning!!! Got Squeeze. =D
OOo3.2.1
Debian Squeeze 6.0.6 on Desktop OO.o 3.2.1
Win 7 soon to dual boot on Laptop OO.o 3.4.1
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: .oft/.bin

Post by thomasjk »

Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy »

Thanks for the link Tom. I guess at this rate then I'm not going to be able to open this since I don't have Windows and Outlook. So, looks like TB and Evolution are out the window for opening this then. Guess that there isn't some kind of a work around for this is there? Guess I'll have my supervisor open this for me since it's something I need for work. And since I don't have a computer for work yet she'll have to do so. :lol:
Just thought that it was worth a shot to ask, couldn't hurt right? I know I've been busting my head against that wall all weekend trying to open the dang thing. Posted in Ubuntu also trying for help. So guess I'll have to drop it unless someone can come up with some kind of a work around.
Thanks Tom for the information.
Have a great weekend!!!

Tom/ M
OOo3.2.1
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Try renaming the file as .doc. I "think" this may have worked for me 3-4 years ago.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The file with extension 'OFT' is not easy to open with newer MSOffice!!!

see:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5908163_open-fo ... -2007.html

Did not find converter for them either.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy »

WOW! Not even to open in certain formats of Microsoft? What kind of screwed up thing is that? I tried to open by changing to .doc. Didn't work either. Guess I'll keep on plugging. Tried going to .odt also, again, no good. Another suggestion was to run Microsoft Office in Wine(don't have Microsoft Office, can't afford or want it either) in Wine or Windows(same reason as Microsoft Office) in Virtual machine. I went full Linux and haven't had any problems opening things except for this. Now only to find out that it is also problems within their own products. Such is luck I guess. Oh well, guess I'll keep on plugging along until I get my laptop an desktop at work. That's the only time I'll have Windows.
Thanks for the suggestions. Too bad that they have the corner on certain things like that.

Tom
OOo3.2.1