[Solved] Strange horizontal line - how do I get rid of it?

Discuss the word processor
rconstantine

[Solved] Strange horizontal line - how do I get rid of it?

Post by rconstantine »

I'm trying to work with a document originally generated in Word. I don't have access to a computer with Word on it. I have one page that is prematurely cut, as if it has a page break, and a second with a strange line across the middle between two paragraphs. In the first case, the line is not visible while the page break occurs. I cannot go to the front of the first character and simply hit backspace. That isn't working. But if I go to the end of the text just before the break, delete (using backspace) the period at the end of that paragraph and then type that period in again, the page is no linger broken, but instead, a line appears between paragraphs. Since the paragraphs run together without a paragraph break between them, I try to add a paragraph break by hitting enter after the period I just typed. This causes the text to break pages again in the same place.

The other line is always visible and is several pages later. It looks the same and can also not be deleted or backspaced through.

I have all visibility settings that I can find turned on, so I see non-printing characters and so forth. I tried opening the doc in WordPad, hoping there was simple XML or something that might give me a clue, but it seems it's a binary format.

BTW, the line appears the same as header, footer, and margin lines. I tried removing all headers and footers from the document with no effect.

Here's a screen shot. Notice the line between Section 9.6 and the paragraph before it. Section 9.5 was on the previous page and 9.6 started the new page, but they should both be on the previous page. Any ideas?
Screen shot
Screen shot
Last edited by rconstantine on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hagar Delest

Re: Strange horizontal line - how do I get rid of it?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you attach the file here ?
I'm wondering if it's not the section limits. You can deactivate their display in Tools>Options>OOo>Appearance, uncheck Section boundaries.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
rconstantine

Re: Strange horizontal line - how do I get rid of it?

Post by rconstantine »

You were right. They were sections. I deleted all sections and the document edited just nicely. Thanks for the quick reply.