[Issue] Sound Won't Transfer to Power Point

Discuss the presentation application
bdnfarm

[Issue] Sound Won't Transfer to Power Point

Post by bdnfarm »

I am new to the program and have created a slide show with one continuos song in the background. It works great until I convert the slide show to Power Point. When I run it in Power Point there is no sound. I read other questions regarding "Links", but my sound is not linked as the "Link" function is not ativated under the Edit column. Any ideas?

Thanks, Brian
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed May 02, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Issue (link to a bug report).
acknak

Re: Sound Won't Transfer to Power Point

Post by acknak »

I don't have Powerpoint to test anything, but my guess is that this kind of sound link is not supported in exporting to Powerpoint. Impress (and OOo in general) has lots of rough edges in support of audio and video, and the attachment of sounds to a slide transition seems like a "useful accident" rather than a solid design. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that simply doesn't transfer to Powerpoint.

There are many bug reports for sound in Impress, including this one: Issue 81799, No sound save-as or export in either html/SWF or PowerPoint, which sounds like yours.

You can register and add a vote (up to two) or a comment there.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
TrueGreen

Post by TrueGreen »

You need to embed the music file and the file must be in the .wav format. If you use a .wav format in simpress you can convert to powerpoint presentation and then to powerpoint show. The music will then play on any computer. Unfortunately, at least for me, if I put a wave file in simpress, it will play on the computer I made the presentation on, but not on others. To convert an mp3 file to .wav the easiest program to use seems to be "Switch", http://www.nch.com.au/switch/. This is free. Other programs are "audiograbber", http://www.download.com/Audiograbber/30 ... 16038.html. Also free. And Cdex,
http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/?q=download. Also free. you can use the instructions from this forum to put the .wav file into simpress (see attachment). You can google instructions to do this in PowerPoint.
Addendum: An mp3 file will play in simpress (don't need .wav), but it will not embed into PowerPoint (need .wav)
Attachments
Adding Music To Simpress.pdf
(24.4 KiB) Downloaded 626 times
TrueGreen

Post by TrueGreen »

To add to above, does anyone know if music can be embedded in simpress?
TrueGreen

Post by TrueGreen »

I've played around with the above, but it's not working perfectly, but think I know my mistake. This link gives instructions for embedding music in power point: http://www.123ppt.com/powerpoint-tutori ... sic.asp#43.
There are probably others that are easier to follow. This part of the instructions is very important and probably where I messed upl

To embed your sound file into PowerPoint

1. Choose "Options" from the Tools main menu and go to the General tab.
2. Set the value next to "Link sounds with file size greater than" to (article should have said) 50,000 kb. This will allow you to embed sound files of up to 5megabytes each. Enter a higher number if you wish to embed even larger sound files.
3. Click OK.
Last edited by TrueGreen on Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
TrueGreen

Post by TrueGreen »

Sorry if I confused anyone, but I started over and was able to create an impress program, save it to powerpoint presentation, embed music and save to powerpoint show. I then transferred it to another computer and was able to play it with the sound.
To do this you basically need to embed the music as a .wav file in the powerpoint presentation. I also found I was able to make an impress presentation with music, save it to powerpoint presentation, to powerpoint slide show without adding the music to the powerpoint presentation. This powerpoint show then played on another computer with the music. I used a .wav file. I could not play the impress presentation with music on another computer, only on the computer it was created on. Hope this helps.
TrueGreen

Post by TrueGreen »

I would just add to the last post that when you put the music into simpress and end up with powerpoint presentation that the music doesn't transfer exactly or rather that it doesn't synchronize the same way with the slides. So it is best to embed the music into the powerpoint presentation to get the synchronization the way you want. You can put the music into simpress by making a folder with the simpress presentation and the music files you are using and send the whole folder. But this only works if the person you are sending to has OpenOffice installed on their computers. I don't know if there is a simpress viewer.