How do I distribute my odp-files

Discuss the presentation application
aw_kreawit

How do I distribute my odp-files

Post by aw_kreawit »

I have trouble distributing my odp-files (Impress presentation). I loose my included pictures, movies and fonts. Since I have receieved presentations by mail from other people I believe I include my media-files by reference and do not import them properly into the odp-file. How do I import fonts, images and avi-files into the odp-file for correct distribution?
acknak

Re: How do I distribute my odp-files

Post by acknak »

You can't. The common presentation software, including Powerpoint, is simply not designed to be self-contained. The best possibility is exporting to a standard video format like Flash, but OOo has no such capability at this point. There are (as I hear) commercial software products that can do such a conversion.

If you can live without animations, transitions, audio or video, you can export to PDF, or even to image files, with the current version of OOo. That will at least preserve the text and graphics, including the fonts, of your presentation.

If your presentation has linked images, you can convert them to embedded images using the Edit > Links dialog. When you "break" the link, the image will be embedded in the presentation file.

As far as I know, it is not possible to embed video or audio in the presentation. The best you can do is to create an archive (zip is the most standard) that has all the files used by the presentation. This does not work for fonts; there is no way that I know of to embed or distribute fonts with a presentation--not to mention that it's likely illegal as well.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
aw_kreawit

Post by aw_kreawit »

Thank you for your answer. I will try to "break" my links - it seems to preserve video as well!
distribute fonts are illegal
. I beleive it depends on the licence of the font and formats like PDF do embedd even the font.
acknak

Post by acknak »

... it seems to preserve video as well!
You mean that the video file is then embedded in the .odp file? That's nice to know, thanks!
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23