[Solved+Issue] Footnote in a caption

Discuss the word processor
Marek

[Solved+Issue] Footnote in a caption

Post by Marek »

I am currently trying to technically improve a thesis made by one of my colleagues and have encountered the following problem (I hesitate to call it an issue): in the thesis there are a number of footnotes and some illustrations. One of the captions to the illustration should contain a footnote indicating the source. In MS Word there is no problem in adding the footnote to the caption as Word treats captions as regular paragraph characterised by “Legend” style. In OOo it seems impossible to add a footnote to the caption (at least I do not know the way to do it).
I would really appreciate if anybody could indicate the solution or a useful workaround preserving the numbering of the other footnotes (since the thesis is not mine I struggle from interfering with the merits and contents of the paper too much).
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue May 04, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Issue (link to a bug report).
OOo 3.2.X on Ms Windows XP (Work) and Windows 7 (Home)
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Footnote in a caption

Post by floris v »

You can't insert footnotes in captions, that is an old issue.
A workaround would be to bypass the captions in OOo and add the captions as plain text, but with special formatting taken from the caption style. You might use a numbering style to get the captions auto-numbered as well, but I haven't checked if numbering can restart with each chapter then. If the worst comes to the worst, you can of course number them manually. :(
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Marek

Re: Footnote in a caption

Post by Marek »

Thank you for a quick reply. In the meantime I have found the same workaround. The restart of the captions is not the problem here as all the illustrations (as well as tables and so on) should have continous numbering in the entire thesis. The plain text and specific style is the best solution since it allows for making an autoindex based on the specific style or styles and hence would make it easier to add such an index to the paper.

Thanks one again.
RGB

Re: [Solved+Issue] Footnote in a caption

Post by RGB »

There is another workaround: insert the footnote near the caption and then cross-reference it inside the caption:
Caption.odt
(33.74 KiB) Downloaded 941 times
If you want to be certain that the real footnote anchor is on the same page of the figure, you can change the wrapping for the figure frame so the footnote anchor is to the right of the figure.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
Marek

Re: [Solved+Issue] Footnote in a caption

Post by Marek »

Interesting workaround. In my situation, however, it seems that the solution based on styles will work better as the author might not be familiar with this mechanism and the thesis might go even more messy. Thanks anyway.