[Solved] Delete space between paragraphs

Discuss the word processor
perchiper

[Solved] Delete space between paragraphs

Post by perchiper »

Hi!

I copied text from Internet page. When I click paste on my Open Office word processor, large gap appears between paragraphs. I tried to work it from format => paragraph, and made space above and below paragraph to zero (0). Alas, it didn't help much.

As much as I can just delete those spaces with backspace on my keyboard, it gets tiresome when I copied tenths and load of pages into writer. (Especially when average of text that I copied reached out up to 500 pages, and sometimes more)

Any suggestion?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon May 03, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.0 on Windows Vista
RoryOF

Re: Delete space between paragraphs

Post by RoryOF »

Turn on Display Non-printing Characters and see what is causing the spaces. (Backwards P button on toolbar).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
perchiper

Post by perchiper »

Okay, Rory.

I've clicked it. There seems to be three enter symbol (like in keyboards) between paragraphs, and there are two of backward p after the last paragraph. How can I delete them all at once?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The enter symbol as you call it is a Linefeed. Install Alternative dialog Find & Replace for Writer
http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... /AltSearch
from the Extensions repository and you will quikly be able to remove these. There are other ways, using Regular Expressions and Find and Replace, but this extension is the easiest way.
perchiper

Post by perchiper »

Rory,

I tried the extension, but I could not find any 'linefeed' in there.

So, I experimented with regular => manual line break => find all => replace all...., and all paragraphs joined together. In fact, there's no paragraphs at all. It's all one big paragraph from the first page to the end.

For example:

This is paragraphs that I wanted to edit:
(linefeed)
(linefeed)
(linefeed)
Twenty minutes later they found a little restaurant on the road side. It was small and quite empty but it seemed clean, and frankly they were in a big need of a rest, so they wouldn't complain about anything. They ordered coffee and muffins and sat down near a big window.(linefeed)
(linefeed)
(linefeed)
(linefeed)
The weather was nice, blue sky and middly cool air, the view was beautiful from here, they could see the mountains in the horizon and the landscape was getting a bit greener.(linefeed)
(linefeed)
(linefeed)
(linefeed)
I wanted to make it like this; totally normal paragraphs.
Twenty minutes later they found a little restaurant on the road side. It was small and quite empty but it seemed clean, and frankly they were in a big need of a rest, so they wouldn't complain about anything. They ordered coffee and muffins and sat down near a big window.

The weather was nice, blue sky and middly cool air, the view was beautiful from here, they could see the mountains in the horizon and the landscape was getting a bit greener.
Instead, this happens:
Twenty minutes later they found a little restaurant on the road side. It was small and quite empty but it seemed clean, and frankly they were in a big need of a rest, so they wouldn't complain about anything. They ordered coffee and muffins and sat down near a big window.The weather was nice, blue sky and middly cool air, the view was beautiful from here, they could see the mountains in the horizon and the landscape was getting a bit greener.
Err..., a little help?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Using AltSearch

Find \n\n\n
Replace with \p

as far as I remember.
perchiper

Post by perchiper »

Whoa.... works like a charm. Thanks Rory. You save my life in there.