Can I install OpenOffice.org on a netbook?

Issues with smartphones, tablets and all portable devices
jjbosko

Can I install OpenOffice.org on a netbook?

Post by jjbosko »

I recently purchased a Netbook that is running Windows 7 Starter OS. It apparently is a 36-bit OS. Can I install Open Office on this Netbook? If so, which version should I download and install?

Many thanks and Happy New Year.
Open Office 3.1 on Windows 7 Starter
squenson
Volunteer

Re: Can I install OpenOffice on a NETBOOK

Post by squenson »

Welcome to this forum jjbosko!

Yes you can install OOo on your notebook. Choose the standard Windows version which should be the default one offered from the openoffice.org home page.
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Can I install OpenOffice.org on a netbook?

Post by jrkrideau »

jjbosko wrote:I recently purchased a Netbook that is running Windows 7 Starter OS. It apparently is a 36-bit OS. Can I install Open Office on this Netbook? If so, which version should I download and install?

Many thanks and Happy New Year.

I have the standard Windows version of OOo installed on my netbook and it seems to be working just fine.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Reay

Post by Reay »

Morning, all -

I just got a netbook running Windows 7, as well, and downloaded the Open Office suite as one of the first things I knew wanted on it (having used it on my desktop and laptop for a few years at this point, and loving it).

When I hit the downloaded .exe file, I got an error saying that there was something wrong with the file - that it was perhaps incomplete - and to check the original source of the file. So, reluctantly, I started downloading the file a second time, thinking perhaps it had inadvertently truncated the first time. While doing that, I was doing some research on the Open Office site for why this problem may have happened (it's always been a very clean and easy download and install for me previously), and noted that it not only has system requirements list that don't include Windows 7, but that you need a screen resolution of 1024X768 (while the netbook is 1024X600).

I stopped the download, not seeing any point in going further if the documentation suggested I couldn't run Open Office on a Windows 7 system with a lower resolution, but now came across this thread suggesting it should work.

Any ideas why I'd be having this issue?

Thanks in advance!
Open Office 3.0.1 on Windows XP
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The system requirements were penned before the 1024x600 screens of Netbooks bcame common. OpenOffice will run well on such a screen - I have it running on my Netbook under Ubuntu. I can't say from personal experience about Windows Vista/7, but there are may reports of difficulties in download and installation with them, which difficulties seem to be easily overcome. Search the Forum; you will notice that many of the helpful Windows 7 advices come from two or three volunteers. Use of their names will narrow your searches.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Reay

Post by Reay »

Thanks very much, Rory.
Will do.
Open Office 3.0.1 on Windows XP