[Solved] New Download/Install with SMS Code prompt???

Not sure where to post? Post here!
AnnetteK

[Solved] New Download/Install with SMS Code prompt???

Post by AnnetteK »

Hi All

Have I been had? I downloaded the Open Office application - titled install_openoffice -- 2374-OOo - and when I've installed it - I was asked to send an sms to 19982889 with the word CODE and then send it twice more with the word COD - to be given an access code at the end... which I entered. When I entered that - it appeared to be downloaded okay, but when finished, I couldn't find it anywhere on my laptop. It wasn't on the desktop, and no where to be found. Still had the downloaded application sitting in my original file.

What's happened? Why didn't it work. I have Windows 7, and used Firefox browser.

Will be grateful for your help.
Cheers,
Annette K
Last edited by AnnetteK on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows 7
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: New Download/Install with SMS Code prompt???

Post by thomasjk »

This is scam site. Always download here www.openoffice.org.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
AnnetteK

Post by AnnetteK »

Thanks Tom. So what have I actually done now ? How do I delete those files from my computer now and start again, and have I been infected because of that? Because I've sent an SMS three times to a number, I guess they got my money for the SMS calls?? Do I need professional help now - could they have corrupted my computer?
Cheers,
Annette K
Windows 7
No OOo installed yet. will try again then.

PS: I just deleted the applications in my download file - sending to the recycle bin. I sure do wish that I knew what was downloaded to my laptop once I entered that code I was given. I'm paranoid now thinking that I could have some hacker accessing all my passwords, and information on my computer?? Any clues on what these scams do?
Last edited by AnnetteK on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AnnetteK

Post by AnnetteK »

So now I've downloaded it... and got this error message when it finished....

C:\Users\Annette K\Downloads\OOo_3.2.0_Win32Intel_install_wJRE_en-US.exe.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Try again later, or contact the server administrator.

What now?

Thanks
Annette K
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try again, with a download manager (there are extensions for that with Firefox for example).

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
AnnetteK

Post by AnnetteK »

Hi Hagar, I don't understand what you mean by using a download manager? Should I use Internet Explorer instead when I download, instead of Firefox? I'll try that, in case it's Firefox that is the problem then. The downloading uses up my internet usage allowance which is only 3GB for the month.
Cheers,
Annette K
Windows7
no OOo yet.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Firefox shouldn't be the problem. I also don't use a download manager, or the one inbuilt in Firefox. Maybe you already exceeded your usage allowance? Are you sure that the batteries of your laptop were up to scratch?
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
AnnetteK

Post by AnnetteK »

Success!! Thanks - I've done it using Internet Explorer and trying again. I've successfully downloaded 3.2.0 Open Office, and run it, installed it and it's working. Yippee!!
Thanks so much for being here and encouraging me to keep on trying. I managed it. I'm so grateful.
Cheers,
Annette K
Windows 7