Caption for Figures out of order

Discuss the word processor
diodeman

Caption for Figures out of order

Post by diodeman »

I'm having an issue where I have several figures on a single page and I need to change the caption numbering order. For instance. I have a row of three figures. The first two figures are Figure 4 and Figure 5. However, when I place a caption on the last Figure, which is below the other two, it is automatically numbered Figure 4 and the other two figures increment by one. Is there a reason that this is happening, and how can I fix it? Thank you guys so much for the help!
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 8.x + Mac OS X
TheRealOrion

Re: Caption for Figures out of order

Post by TheRealOrion »

The numbering is done based on the positions of the anchors for frames, not the frames themselves. So click on the frames you're moving around (make sure to get the outer one, if you're working with pics in frames), and then adjust the anchor position as needed. This may require some finicky tweaking. Get to know the frame placement features once and you'll know how to place them in the future. I have had to deal with them a lot in a couple of book-length documents. You get used to them pretty quick if you put your mind to it.
LibreOffice 5.2.5.1 on MacBook OS X 10.12.3, "Sierra"
diodeman

Post by diodeman »

Thank you for the input. I looked at the anchor, and it is well below the other two figures at the moment. I basically only have 3 figures on the one page.All three figures are stacked in the center of the page on top of each other other. All the frames are anchored to the page at the moment. Any other thoughts? This is happening on 3 pages now.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

diodeman wrote:Thank you for the input. I looked at the anchor, and it is well below the other two figures at the moment. I basically only have 3 figures on the one page.All three figures are stacked in the center of the page on top of each other other. All the frames are anchored to the page at the moment. Any other thoughts? This is happening on 3 pages now.
I think that we would probably need to see an example of this. If possible can you post one either here or at a website?

Handy places to post a file:
media fire http://www.mediafire.com/
or
mytempdir.com http://www.mytempdir.com
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Better anchor the pics/frames as character and nothing else (neither to character) to have a robust numbering. You can use tables to make the layout easier.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
naught101

Post by naught101 »

I also had this problem, one of my images wasn't fitting into the numbering scheme (I had 1,2,4,3,4,5). I double clicked the numbering field on the first number 4, changed it to something else, then changed it back to "Figure + 1", and it worked. Would be nice if it did this automatically...
OpenOffice 3.2 on Ubuntu 10.04
DavideAndrea

Post by DavideAndrea »

I had the same problem. I came here to research it, went back to the document, and it was fixed.

It appears that all you need to do is be patient; eventually OO will figure it our and fix it.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows Vista