OpenOffice.org 3.2 Crashes on File Open

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
blkhouse

OpenOffice.org 3.2 Crashes on File Open

Post by blkhouse »

I need help in finding out why suddenly between yesterday and today that OpenOffice crashes when opening files (docs and spreadsheets). The OpenOffice was a new install on a new machine and worked fine for over a week. Another computer with the same hardware configuration works fine and has been equally Windows Updated.

I uninstalled OpenOffice, removed the Virtual C++, and removed the old profile files. Reinstalled OpenOffice and updated using Windows Update, and I still get the same results. I don't understand what has changed.

Is there something I can do to figure out the problem?
OpenOffice.org 3.2
Windows 7 64 bit
Hagar Delest

Re: OpenOffice 3.2 Crashes on File Open

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Have you cleaned the registry before reinstalling?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
blkhouse

Post by blkhouse »

No, what would I clean out of the registry. I confirmed that I did modify a file that doesn't open today, yesterday.
I am going crazy.

Thank you.
OpenOffice.org 3.2
Windows 7 64 bit
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Perhaps a Windows updated has interfered with OOo settings and its registration in the base of registry.
blkhouse

Post by blkhouse »

I uninstalled OpenOffice again, and delete the user profile. I tried looking for "openoffice" in the registry but there wasn't really anything there. I deleted some items after backing up the registry.
I reinstalled OpenOffice again and once again try to open any document and it takes awhile, crashes and give me a blank "Document Recovery" dialog (the lock file doesn't get deleted) I get the Error report dialog, but it really doesn't say anything I understand. I guess I am stuck again. I am trying to figure out to convert OpenOffice documents to something else for awhile.
OpenOffice.org 3.2
Windows 7 64 bit
Hagar Delest

Re: OpenOffice.org 3.2 Crashes on File Open

Post by Hagar Delest »

Any security application that could prevent OOo from running (there has been some reports here about false positives with anti-viruses).

Note that registry cleaner will look for deprecated keys, you can't do that manually.
blkhouse

Post by blkhouse »

There shouldn't be any deprecated keys, because it was a new install. I checked my anti-virus logs already and it hasn't been triggered by OpenOffice. I think I am out of luck. I sent the error reports, but I am going to have to find an alternative for now.
OpenOffice.org 3.2
Windows 7 64 bit
ronseufert

Post by ronseufert »

I seem to have a similar problem that just occurred today. I have tried to "uninstall" OpenOffice 3.2; but my computer (Windows Vista operating system) won't let me. So I tried to re-load 3.2; but I get the message "Please exit OpenOffice org 3.2 and OpenOffice 3.2 Quickstarter..." (I am the only user of my laptop.)

I sent by e-mail several of my OpenOffice calc files via e-mail to my desktop with OpenOffice 3.1 & they opended without any difficulty.

Can someone HELP!
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

ronseufert wrote:I seem to have a similar problem that just occurred today. I have tried to "uninstall" OpenOffice 3.2; but my computer (Windows Vista operating system) won't let me. So I tried to re-load 3.2; but I get the message "Please exit OpenOffice org 3.2 and OpenOffice 3.2 Quickstarter..." (I am the only user of my laptop.)
That's another problem, plenty of such topics recently. Open the task manager, kill any soffice.bin process and reinstall. Make sure that the quickstarter is disabled also.
blkhouse

Post by blkhouse »

It turns out that my husband's machine has also started to act this way. What is happening is it is unstable. It can open files sometimes but eventually crashes it doesn't matter whether .odt or .ods. You could even create files, but then Ooo would become unstable. The really strange thing is that it the OK on the print dialog is grayed. On my husband's machine it was clearer to see what I think happened as I looked at the Microsoft updates immediately, the last installation was the critical update "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 - x86 8.050727.4053". I know Ooo uses 2008, and I don't have much hope that uninstalling the 2005 update as some updates overlap each other.
OpenOffice.org 3.2
Windows 7 64 bit
marc.bourlon

Post by marc.bourlon »

Question: did you install Internet Explorer 9 final? To me, this is what happened just before, like you, OOo started to crash on opening files...
I know this doesn't solve problem, but I tried all the solutions listed (clearing profile, unchecking this and that), and nothing changed...
OpenOffice 3.x (any version)
Windows 7