[Solved] Drawing Polygons

Discuss the drawing application
nav17kapur

[Solved] Drawing Polygons

Post by nav17kapur »

Hi...I need to draw Polygons. I know how to draw Polylines. Can I draw a randomly-shaped polygon using the same method??

I try to put the last point exactly on the last one (stupid thing to try) and as expected, I wasn't getting anywhere.
Last edited by nav17kapur on Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 2.3.X on openSuse other + Microsoft Vista
Hagar Delest

Re: Drawing Polygons

Post by Hagar Delest »

nav17kapur wrote:I try to put the last point exactly on the last one (stupid thing to try) and as expected, I wasn't getting anywhere.
You mean the last one on the first one?
Keep it open, double click to create it and then right click and select Close object.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Drawing Polygons

Post by Villeroy »

Some very bright person used the programming interface and came up with a collection of macros to draw all kinds of regular shapes: Danny's Draw Power Tools
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
acknak

Re: [Solved]Drawing Polygons

Post by acknak »

There are regular polygons having 4, 5, and 6 sides available through the "Basic Shapes" palette on the Drawing toolbar.

There is no equilateral triangle (as far as I can see), but it is possible (although not trivial) to construct one.

As for freehand closed polygons, when you've created the last vertex, just double click on the first point: Draw will close the polygon for you. Just be aware that this will also create an extra point, which is usually not noticeable and easily removed if necessary.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
aasdfasdfg

Re: [Solved] Drawing Polygons

Post by aasdfasdfg »

Today I was messing around with the open office polygon tool and this was the first hit in google search. I was trying to make an "open ended" polygon, basically a line with several kinks. I kept trying to right click to end, but instead this only deleted the entire figure. Finally, after trial and error, I found that a simultaneous right and left click ended the polygon exactly how I wanted it to.
There was no right click menu - I was very confused. This is just a post to help others that could still be confused after the "solution" presented here.
ooo-build 3.2.0.7, Debian 1:3.2.0-4ubuntu3, Thu Apr 1 21:44:26 UTC 2010
acknak

Post by acknak »

Thanks for the follow-up, but your description does not seem to correspond with the way OOo works for me.

When creating a polyline, the first segment is created by dragging the mouse. After that, left click adds new vertex; right click deletes the previous vertex; double-click creates a new vertex and ends the polyline. If the final point is close to the starting point, the polyline is closed.

Left+right click does something similar to right-click: the last point is deleted and a new point is made.

Pressing Escape cancels the operation and deletes the entire polyline.

Maybe I misunderstood your description, or maybe this is a difference in OOo coming from OO.org vs. go-ooo.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
jricjr

Post by jricjr »

I have yet to be able to turn a set of lines into a closed polygon. What works for me is to lock the layer, create a new layer, then use the polygon tool to trace my original drawing and create the new polygon.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on MacOS 10.10.5
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Use Snap to object points to snap the last line exactly to the start of the first line.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.