Manipulating Base with PHP

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
crustyone

Manipulating Base with PHP

Post by crustyone »

When using MS Access in windows XP, I can set up a connection (ODBC) and then manage and manipulate the database using PHP.

Can I do the same with Open Office Base and if so how please?

Crusty
Open Office 3.1 on Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Manipulating Base with PHP

Post by Villeroy »

No. You can connect the same database to Base and to your PHP program. Base and your PHP program are just 2 different front-end tools for the same database.
The encapsuled single-file, single-user desktop datatabase is just that. It is not accessible from any software other than OOo.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
crustyone

Post by crustyone »

Thanks. I guess that's a very definite 'NO'. However, can I flog it one more time since I may not have explained myself very well.
I have a couple of databses in MS Access that I have uploaded to my web sites. By setting up an ODBC(?) connection, I can allow site visitors to view all or selected records from the database using PHP to retrieve records from the databse.

Can I do the same or something similar with OpenOffice Base?
Please?

Crusty
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The web-database:
Access.mdb>>ODBC>>PHP>>HTML (distributed via http:)

The desktop-database with OOo instead of MS Access
Access.mdb>>ODBC>>Base>>Office Documents (file content)
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
crustyone

Post by crustyone »

If I understand you, that means site visitors will have to have OOo installed on thier computer. I regret that the majority of visitors to the web site are not far removed from computer illiterate and are most unlikely to have OOo. They are interested in historical or geniological research.

is there no other way to insert visitor selected records from Base into HTML so that it's all independent of the visitors software (except a browser)

Crsuty
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

It is totally incomprehensible why you desparately seek for a way to access a web database through a desktop application without actually using the desktop application. You have some database, you have your PHP scripts. Why do you need another 100% desktop application? What is it what you hope to do with OpenOffice.org? Have you ever used OpenOffice.org?
100% of OpenOffice.org is about document creation (word processor, spreadsheet, presentation). Apart from plain export filters (HTML 3 and XHTML) there is not a single feature in OpenOffice.org which enables you to create web-content.
You can reaslly believe me that the Base component works the way I tried to outline. It imports database data into office documents. The type of databsae you may create with it is a desktop-database for a single user which is designed to behave like an office document.
crustyone

Post by crustyone »

I've obviously failed to explain adequately.
I do NOT personaly want to access the database without using whatever database software.

I have made research data available from a MS access database file located on the web site.
Those doing research probably do not have either MS Access, OpenOffice or any other database isoftware nstalled on their computer. They just need to search for and look up information held in the database using the HTML page I have provided for that purpose.

I would prefer to use Base rather than MS Access but if I can't then I'm left with using Access.
Thanks for your help.
Crusty