Locking inserted images in place

Discuss the spreadsheet application
nbrettoner

Locking inserted images in place

Post by nbrettoner »

Hi,

Using Calc 3.2 OOo & am having problems with columns of thumbnail images staying in place, & being anchored to their respective cells.

I have created 2.5cm x 2.5cm thumbnail images which I wish to place into spreadsheet docs.
The spreadsheet's "image" column's cells I set up to 2.5cm x 2.5cm; to match thumbnail size.
Each inserted image I select to anchor to cell. This is already the program's default setting.

Firstly, I note that if I edit the image after placement in Calc, it shows as 2.49cm square.
After placing say twenty or so in a column, they tend to creep up. Even resizing them in calc does not help.
I have to fine-tune each one, to get it with it's cell. After several more, the anchor marker moves up to the above cell.

In addition to this problem, if I create a new sheet (top line of column headings are frozen) the same as 1st sheet, then continue on placing thumbnails, the anchor starts off in the adjacent cell!; to the left!.
Nothing I've tried so far has helped in getting the images to locate correctly in it's cell, nor the anchor to be necessarily attached to that cell.

I have attached a screen-grab of my problem. You will note the image inserts higher up than it should, & the anchor is to the wrong cell.

Help please!

I have read several forum responses concerning similar problems, but I'm hopeful someone may be able to make life a whole lot less tedious & enjoyable for me. I have several spreadsheets & thousands of images to collate & document.
Unfortunately they cannot be processed in any sort of methodical timeline/location/topic order. Hence the need for a spreadsheet system, to aid further sorting as above. :)
Attachments
screen shot of image location problem
screen shot of image location problem
kind regards,

Noel B.
OOo 3.2
XP sp3
ken johnson
Volunteer

Re: locking inserted images in place

Post by ken johnson »

Calc cannot handle images. They will not move from there current cells when you do a sort.

Ken Johnson
AOO 4.1.3 on Ms Windows 10
Help improve this forum by clicking the EDIT button on your first post then adding "[Solved]" to its heading once a solution to your problem has been provided.
nbrettoner

Re: locking inserted images in place

Post by nbrettoner »

Hi Ken,
Thanks for your quick response.

If the image is inserted into a note attached to a cell, would that note (& image) move with the cell when sorted?.
Also please, what happens to web links inserted into cells (when a sort is done)?? :)
kind regards,

Noel B.
OOo 3.2
XP sp3
ken johnson
Volunteer

Re: Locking inserted images in place

Post by ken johnson »

Hi Noel,
nbrettoner wrote:If the image is inserted into a note attached to a cell, would that note (& image) move with the cell when sorted?
I had a go at doing it this way and it seems to work quite well with sorting. Filtering isn't satisfactory unless "Show Comment", accessed via the cell's right-click contextual menu, is deselected (In OOo 3.2 Notes are now called Comments). The comments attached to the hidden rows are not also hidden.
nbrettoner wrote:Also please, what happens to web links inserted into cells (when a sort is done)??
As far as I can tell web links sort OK.

Ken Johnson
Help improve this forum by clicking the EDIT button on your first post then adding "[Solved]" to its heading once a solution to your problem has been provided.
nbrettoner

Post by nbrettoner »

Hi Ken,

Many thanks for your comments & quick response with this. :D

I am processing several hundred old negatives & photographs, stretching back 100 years.
They are our grandparent's & father's, & as all the people in them (excepting a very few) are deceased, there's no-one to ask.

I am digitally photographing each image just as I find them. Yes there is a modicum of order, but many are mixed up.
Of course any in albums are fairly well ordered 'though.

Because I cannot firstly go through them all & place in a logical order, we had decided to record them together with their thumbnail images into spreadsheets.
The intention being; to collate as much info as is possible, then group & place in some sort of logical order & finally create a new set of number systems for the various groups. Hence using spreadsheets.
So it's imperative that the thumbnails stick with their respective cells!
kind regards,

Noel B.
OOo 3.2
XP sp3
ken johnson
Volunteer

Post by ken johnson »

Hi Noel,
Sounds like a lot of work.
Hope it all works out well.

Ken Johnson
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There is an extension that allows addition of images to a Base project.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

There is a database component which treats images as "cell values".
Open the input form in pictures.odb.

Inserting Megabytes of pictures in Base is not recommended though due to some technical shortcomings in Base. Since v3 it is possible to link picture controls to a text column of relative path names pointing to picture files.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
nbrettoner

Post by nbrettoner »

Thanks RoryOF Villeroy & others for your valued advice. :)

Tomorrow I hope to start experimenting, to see what can be done.
Being somewhat sketchy on database setup etc means I may take awhile to 'get it', then apply. :? :)

However, armed with the advice so far, I shall persevere. :crazy:
Hope to report back here once I have a workable solution running.
:D
kind regards,

Noel B.
OOo 3.2
XP sp3
osc

Post by osc »

ken johnson wrote:Calc cannot handle images. They will not move from there current cells when you do a sort.

Ken Johnson

Is this still true? version 3.5 or 4.2?
LibreOffice 3 on Mint 13
acknak

Post by acknak »

osc wrote:... Is this still true? version 3.5 or 4.2?
Yes, unfortunately.

Calc can anchor an image to a particular cell, but that's just a location relative to the spreadsheet grid. The image is not contained in the cell and it won't move with the cell content.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23