[Issue] Paste/Clipboard not working

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
nowaychance

[Issue] Paste/Clipboard not working

Post by nowaychance »

I recently installed Windows 7 on my computer and then successfully installed OO. Everything was working fine afterwards. This morning, OO would not paste anything that I attempted to copy either within OO or outside of OO. It appears to cut just fine, but it is not saved to the clipboard...

I read the forums, and attempted the fixes. I reset the user profile. I uninstalled OO and reinstalled it. I then went through and systematically turned off all the extra programs running in the background that I could find, thinking that it might be an interaction with another program as it was for someone else. Nothing seems to work.

Between when it worked and when it stopped working, a number of MS updates for Office installed, and I installed another program (Peachtree Accounting) which didn't work properly and has been uninstalled.

Any ideas of other things that I might try to get the clipboard/paste function working again? (and yes, the edit button to the left of the pdf icon on the toolbar is selected)

Thanks
Susan
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Issue] (link to a bug report).
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows 7 both 64 bit and 32 bit
RoryOF

Re: Paste/Clipboard not working

Post by RoryOF »

Sometimes, for reasons as yet unexplained, OpenOffice or occasionally even Windows itself, cannot copy/cut and paste _unless_ the destination window is already open.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
nowaychance

Post by nowaychance »

Thanks - I'm just trying to paste within the same spreadsheet though...
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

The sheet isn't opened read only, is it?
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Is this in an existing file or in a new one?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
nowaychance

Post by nowaychance »

no - it isn't read only - I checked that

It is an existing file, but I've tried new files as well and it doesn't matter - it also seems to be across the board - in calc as well as writer...

Susan
sbryan4399

Post by sbryan4399 »

I'm having the same problem...OpenOffice 3.1.1 with Windows 7 on a brand new HP computer. Affecting all the OOo programs. Can't copy/paste within a file or from a OOo program to/from another program. I have highlighted text within OOo and used Ctrl-C (or right click and select copy or use the button at the top) then go to another program (e.g. Internet Explorer) and try to paste, it pastes what was in the clipboard prior to this attempt - doesn't move anything from OOo to the clipboard (but also won't take what was already in the clipboard from another program and paste it within OOo).

I also tried the previous suggestions - reinstall, resetting the profile, etc. I was about to start a new topic, but I'll just continue this one and hope someone has a solution or can help us further troubleshoot.
OpenOffice v3.1.1 running on Windows 7
bigbadbaz

Post by bigbadbaz »

I have the same problem with clipboard in OO. Is anyone else with the same problem also using CA Internet Security Suite 2009 by any chance? I recently installed it and didn't notice the clipboard problem prior to that.
OO 3.1.1
OOO310m19(Build:9420)
Vista Home Premium SP2
Toshiba Satellite L550 T6500
frq

Post by frq »

I also have the issue, that I sometimes can't paste copied text into OpenOffice. I also had this problem on Vista, and am now experiencing the same on a freshly installed (previously formatted) Windows 7 with OpenOffice.

1. I copy the text from Firefox (or other programs like Adobe Reader)
2. I paste (Ctrl+V or Ctr+Shift+V or Edit->Paste) it to open office
3. The problem/bug: instead of pasting the copied text from Firefox, OO is pasting the last copied text from within OO itself. If I paste into another program like a simple text editor or Thunderbird, it's pasting the right, last copied object.

If I close OO and reopen it, it's working again for the moment. But this shouldn't be the solution, right? Any idea whats going wrong?

P.S.: I don't have CA Internet Security Suite 2009 installed...
P.P.S.: Perhaps an admin could move this topic directly to the Board "Setup and Troubleshooting", because I don't think it belongs to this Windows-Installation related board...
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows 7
AngelDust

Post by AngelDust »

I installed OO in a Windows 7 laptop and am experiencing the same problem with the paste function. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, and even turned off Windows Update just so no other installations or processes would get in the way. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
OpenOffice 3.1
rekk1986

Post by rekk1986 »

are you using a programs that don't have the permissions copy and paste? I've met an issues like these and i solved that problems by ending the programs . Nice to help you.
Jens S

Post by Jens S »

A member of the Danish forum claims that he has solved the copy/paste problem by using a Windows-registration-base cleaner "SLOW-PCfighter". Maybe it is enough to use the free CCleaner - give it a try.

Jens
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista + Ubuntu
AngelDust

Post by AngelDust »

Jens S wrote:A member of the Danish forum claims that he has solved the copy/paste problem by using a Windows-registration-base cleaner "SLOW-PCfighter". Maybe it is enough to use the free CCleaner - give it a try.

Jens
I dunno, I never trusted registry cleaners but if it worked for him I might as well give it a try. Has anyone else tried this method to fix the copy/paste issue?
OpenOffice 3.1
Ericm31

Post by Ericm31 »

For the record I have the same paste/copy problem. Like bigbadbaz I have CA security installed. Snooze mode does not fix problem. I did not have this major bug until I installed OpenOffice 3.1. Same files opened in MS Office 2007 function as normal
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP
sbryan4399

Post by sbryan4399 »

I posted earlier to this discussion with the same problem. Thanks to bigbadbaz for making the connection to CA Security Center 2009. I also have CA installed. I turned it off (Firewall, Auto Scan, and E-mail Scan) and my Copy/Paste started working again in OO. What's interesting is I turned all the CA components back on and my copy/paste is still working. I've rebooted and I still can't reproduce the problem. So I don't know what it is exactly, but it does seem to be connected to the CA software.
OpenOffice v3.1.1 running on Windows 7
DavidPMR

Post by DavidPMR »

OOo programs are having a problem with using the system clipboard, it works then doesn't.

There is no other programs having this issue, one can copy paste into and out of any other programs but not OOo.

I can not understand why the issue can't be found, copy/paste is a basic need, not an option.

One would think it would be at the top of the list as a critical bug stopping all future versions.
nsalomone

Post by nsalomone »

If you are using CA Internet Security and your clipboard(paste/copy/cut) is not working. It is very simple to get it working again. Go into CA Internet Security click on the CA Firewall Advanced Settings, then go to Safeguard on the left hand side, click the Program Control tab and find the soffice.bin file. Edit that file and put a checkmark next to Allow this program to safely access system priveleges and also check the Trusted. After doing this it should now work to copy and paste.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista 64-bit
DavidPMR

Post by DavidPMR »

nsalomone wrote:If you are using CA Internet Security and your clipboard(paste/copy/cut) is not working.
Naw, it doesn't have anything to do with CA internet security.
If people are making changes and it working that is disturbing, because 90% of people with the problem do not have CA.
jv59

Post by jv59 »

I'm having the cut and paste issue also on Windows 7. In my case the paste is using the wrong buffer or something. I tested c/c/p using a different application and it works fine. OO keeps pasting the wrong content. It's pasting something I copied from another spreadsheet a while back. :(

It looks like the 00 quickstarter is causing the problem. I stopped it, restarted it and now the c/c/p seems to be working.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP Professional
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I am getting this problem on an HP PC running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I do not have CA installed and I do not run OO Quickstarter. It is intermittent. I have not (so far) been able to reproduce it on my wife's W7 Home Premium 32 bit laptop and it did not happen on my previous XP machine.

I posted it at http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic ... 836#365836

I have reported it as a bug at http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=110217 and it is Issue no 110217. I think it may be in the wrong place (I reported it as Writer problem, but it may be a User Interface problem) so it may move. The subject was Paste from clipboard pastes the previous contents of the clipboard
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
lunamynx

Post by lunamynx »

please excuse this bit of forum necromancy

however, i recently had issues with copy and pasting from firefox INTO OO calc and writer, my solution was somewhat simple but noticed that it hasn't been mentioned so for anyone else, my issue was generated by having KeyScrambler on, once turned off, copy and paste actions resumed. I'm not a big fan of keyscrambler, while it serves its purpose it in general annoys me, but my husband keeps reinstalling it when i get rid of it =P

hope this helps, sometimes we forget what programs are running in the background.

cheers
godestalbin

Post by godestalbin »

I agree with DavidPMR. This issue bother me all the time and I try to push OO in my company.

I find a better turnaround (tested with Writer) than restarting all OO opened appplications: Copy something in Writer, paste in Writer, copy from other application, now can paste it in Writer.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 3.2.0 on Windows XP
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

This is being looked at as Issue 113171 - see https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=113171
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
slewpan

Re: [Issue] Paste/Clipboard not working

Post by slewpan »

if you are coping from another formatted typed document , it wont be recognized in your OO document , clipboard error.

open a text editor notepad gedit etc and paste to that first. this removes the code formatting from the the original document if this is the original problem.

graphics/etc are not copied into the opened editor, just text. you will have to reformat your document piece by piece.
this is prbably true for all programs to some extent.

possible asides Browser - Browser settings . your settings right click actions and if i remember clipboard only had so much in memory it could copy. ;ong ago
Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) / OpenOffice 3.2
windmarc

Post by windmarc »

Hi,

I have been on occasion also suffering from a similar issue. Sometimes, I want to paste a picture edited in Paint.net into Openoffice Writer, and the clipboard doesn't paste into the document. The "Paste" command in the Edit menu is actually greyed out, and not available. Control V doesn't work either.
What works for me is to either edit the picture in MS Paint, and not use Paint.net, or copy/paste from Paint.net into MS Paint, and then copy/paste into OO Writer. Not sure what the issue is.
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows 7
malcev

Post by malcev »

Try to uninstall Skype add-on for your browsers.
It helped me.
OpenOffice 3, WinXp
rjm46gs12

Post by rjm46gs12 »

If Open Office Cut/Copy/Paste functions are intermittent or not working at all try stopping all Microsoft Windows e-mail programs (Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail, etc.). The e-mail applications control the clipboard so rigidly that non-microsoft programs are excluded from some clipboard functions, PASTE in particular.
Open Office.org 3, Windows 7
rmbcdoug

Post by rmbcdoug »

What worked for me... Close all Oo windows, go into task manager and stop all processes that are associated with Oo (I had 2). Then re open the Oo files and try to cut/paste.
Open office 3.3.0, Windows 7
tomtom37

Post by tomtom37 »

I feel stupid even posting this, but what worked for me (by accident) was switching Selection Mode in Edit to Block.
Openoffice 3.4 on Windows 7
Dezorian

Post by Dezorian »

malcev wrote:Try to uninstall Skype add-on for your browsers.
It helped me.
Thanks! This solved it for me.
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows 7