Severe Slowdwn when using Math (in Writer)

Discuss the formula editor
Danimoth

Severe Slowdwn when using Math (in Writer)

Post by Danimoth »

(Although i use Writer, i think this is more related to Math)

I extensively use formulas in my assignments for class, and i experience major slowdowns after a while.
The problem seems to have something to do with double clicking on a formula and maybe editing it too. I am not sure if an edit has to occur.

Every time i do that, it happens slower and slower. After a while, i need 3-4 sec from when i double-click a formula, until it actually opens for editing, and another 3-4 sec when i exit the formula.

The problem occurs in openoffice 3.1 on both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10 (both 64-bit) in 2-3 different computers. This leads me to think its something related to Math. Searching the forums yielded a previous mention on memory leaks, but i am not sure its related and it wasn't solved. Also, there was nothing that seemed relevant to this in the 3.2 changelogs.

The problem is solved by completely exiting writer and starting up again. On windows, i also have to terminate the taskbar icon. If i don't terminate the taskbar icon or forget to close at least 1 window(even if it is not writer), then the slowdown persists.

I noticed that each formula has its own "undo history". I thought that perhaps that consumes too much memory, and reduced it to only remember 10 commands only, but that wasn't the root of the problem - the slowdowns persist.

As it is now, i have to restart openoffice every 15-20 minutes, which is a little... frustrating :/.

Any help is appreciated :].
Anyone else has a the same experience
OOo 3.1.1 (build 9420)
Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala (x86-64)