Microsoft Scrap Files

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
wlapaire

Microsoft Scrap Files

Post by wlapaire »

I am new at trying to convert to Open Office. Everything has been very smooth in terms of setup and running programs. Only one problem that I would appreciate any direction for. Microsoft provided a feature that let you drag selected sections of a word document directly to a file folder. It created a "scrap file" with filetype shs. This drag and drop was a convenient way of taking copies of sections of documents that could later be dragged back into word for viewing. Sample is attached.
In addition to being able to drag and drop this file type, microsoft provided a Shell Scrap Object Handler that could be used to open the files.
So now the question - is there any way that these shs files can be brought into the open office writer application. I could go to my old computer and drag the scrap files one-by-one into word, and then save the document and transport it to the new machine, however I have several hundred of these shs files, and if there is a better way, I would certainly like to know what it is.
I have searched this site for "scrap" and "shs" but have had no hits.
Many thanks for considering this
Open office 3.2.0 running on Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Microsoft Scrap Files

Post by Villeroy »

What makes you think that an application like OpenOffice.org rebuilds the whole Microsoft product line? The fact that is able to open doc/xls/ppt fairly well?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
wlapaire

Post by wlapaire »

I apologize if I have in some way offended you. I thought I was simply asking if there was a solution to my problem. I know that the OpenOffice community has a large group of very bright and experienced people involved, and just thought someone might have run across my problem previously, and come up with a solution. Your reply to my request struck me as somewhat offensive, rather than helpful. I hope you have a better day today. Thanks.
Open office 3.2.0 running on Windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

They're a security risk. Microsoft dropped support of scrap files in Vista and Windows 7.

Scrap files scrapped
acknak

Post by acknak »

Interesting. Thanks for the link, Bill.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23